• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upper Steering Column Shaft Spring

427SideOiler

I am swapping out my 75 Automatic column, for a 79 E Van Tilt Column. The conversion is going well, except I have found that the upper shaft spring that sits just below the steering wheel on my 75 Column- does not fit in to the pocket of the 79 Tilt column- the 79 has that rotating cancelling cam assembly and the 75 spring seems to be too fat/wide and will not sit down in the pocket- there must be a thinner spring for this application? Does anyone know what is the correct spring for a 79 Tilt column and where to find one. I have searched but no luck so far. Any help would be appreciated.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There was not a steering wheel in place on the '79 when you got it? Normally you would not use something from another column because the new column "should" have everything it needs.
But if the new one was already partially disassembled, then yeah, you're on 'yer own there I guess.

Sorry I don't remember what was in there. I've had a couple of '79 tilts apart over the years, but it's been a very long time. I just don't remember any thin springs.
I do seem to remember a short, narrow but VERY robust spring in the column, but it's size in my memory makes me think more of it being part of the tilting mechanism rather than just a tensioner on the shaft.

Good luck. Interested to hear what others say. Think I've seen recently where some members have been working on that type of column too.

Paul

OP
OP

427SideOiler

No steering wheel when I bought the 79 column- so no upper spring. I am beginning to wonder if there is even suppose to be a spring there? I have looked at photos on the web of other 79 Tilt columns, but none seem to show the spring- so I'm not sure if there is suppose to be one. All my other Ford columns always seemed to use that upper spring- so I assumed this 79 Tilt should have one as well. If anyone knows for sure, I would be interested in knowing- I suppose I could modify a spring from the hardware store if needed, but would like to use the correct part.