• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Urgent: ZF 5-speed conversion help

csangster

Finally putting my ZF 5-speed in my bronco after the parts have been sitting for a decade.

I bought the complete BC broncos kit.

I have the transmission mounted to the new crossmember and installed in the bronco while I measure and cut the trans tunnel

I’m taking extra measurements and something doesn’t add up

The distance from the front of the bell housing to the frame motor mounts is 12”

When I measure from my engine from the bellhousing mount face to the motor mount I get 12-1/2”.

The trans crossmember only goes in one way. I’m considering slotting the holes in the trans mount so I can slide the trans back.....

Thoughts?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This is confusing to read, but I might just have it...
You have the transmission installed but not the engine?
It might just be you are not accounting for the angle of the dangle.

I would install the engine and transmission without the transmission crossmember. Once you have the motor bolted in that will locate everything. Now try the crossmember. If it doesn't fit at that time consider slotting it.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
T

I would install the engine and transmission without the transmission crossmember. Once you have the motor bolted in that will locate everything. Now try the crossmember. If it doesn't fit at that time consider slotting it.

this is how i went about it. supported with a jack on the xfer case. it all lined right up but there was some head scratching at first as stuff didnt seem like it wanted to line up

Hank

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
When I used the BC trans xmember I had to open up the holes to get it to fit properly. I was installing a M5OD trans.

OP
OP
C

csangster

Angle of the Dangle

This is confusing to read, but I might just have it...
You have the transmission installed but not the engine?
It might just be you are not accounting for the angle of the dangle.

BB,

You are right...….I didn't have the trans angled up enough.....once I clearance the tunnel more and pushed the angle higher, it came into the 12.5" dimension I was looking for.

Yes.....I only had the transmission in there. I am having friends over to help drop everything in and I didn't want to be working on fitment issues when they are there to help me fire it up. So some dry-fitting was needed to make sure everything goes in right the first time.

Sorry for the confusing initial message...…..you are right...…..a picture would speak volumes.

Chris

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The ZF Does that make the rear driveshaft even shorter? Is that a problem?

OP
OP
C

csangster

ZF driveshaft length

The ZF Does that make the rear driveshaft even shorter? Is that a problem?

No problem at all.

This is a very common swap.

This driveshaft will still be way longer than the driveshaft I had in my CJ-5 years ago.

AZ69EB

The great advantage of the ZF conversion for me was having the same length driveshafts front and rear. They were 28.5” long. Good luck.