• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

use WINDOW SCREEN in rad. install????

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
Hey-

has anyone actually DONE what n8 suggests on his page ?

( disclaimer: the following text was lifted directly from N8's page- appologies if this is any problem-
here is the link:
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~i6735189/bodylift.htm

- text on page is preceded by "important note:" written in red )

he says:

"Important note: One thing that I did when I installed the radiator, was put in some aluminum screen door mesh in front of the radiator to keep it clean. You wouldn't believe the amount of pebbles, bug guts, seeds, leaf particles, etc.that were jammed inbetween the fins. This alone lead to a lot cooler temps and the mesh is SO much easier to hose off. Plus you get protection from gravel hitting the radiator/tranny cooler. I would recommend this to everybody. "

opinions? like would this cause any problems by diminishing airflow to the front of the radiator?

cause overheating?

hmmm-

A ::)

OP
OP

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
[quote author=Allen_69 link=board=5;threadid=21011;start=0#msg161815 date=1060955639]
Works great for keeping bugs/dirt etc out of the rad. I've got screen in front of my rad.
[/quote]

yeh- i get the "bug" thing- but , WILL it diminish air flow and make the radiator work harder?
:)

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
yep, got it on mine. mine is a stock radiator for the 302 and seems to run at 190* pretty much all the time. Recall that I live in Seattle, where 90* outside is REALLY hot for us. But it works really well for blocking all the little crap that would usually lodge in the radiator. I fit it in behind the hood latch, and just let the latch cut a slot for itself. The mesh is like that used for screen doors, galvanized metal.

dpm

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
it being in front of the radiator will cut down Some air but not much, now if you tried to use the steel mesh thick enough that you can walk on it would probably cut down 30% of the air flow or more. window screen probably cuts 5% or so of area.