• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Used old parts

Synister3

Contributor
I apologize ahead if I’m in the wrong place. I’m new to the Bronco scene and although I’ve used this site for parts I’ve never took the time to publicly ask any questions or advice.

I owned a ‘70 back in the early 90’s but deployed and left it home and it was eventually sold while I was away. A couple years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a ‘71 sport for a decent price right before the market went crazy. I’ve been working on it since, mainly redoing the previous owners work as time permitted. I ended up picking some parts up (that I didn’t need) in Big Bear Ca. and was turned on to this site. I’ve met a lot of great members and a couple bad but for the most part a good group to meet up with. Along the way I’ve been given a lot of items from members for free or included in a package deal with a bunch of parts that I pretty much wanted more than I needed.

My question is a lot of the parts are take off original parts, some rough and some good. That being said I have several radiators, gas tanks, steering columns and some other misc stuff. I’m wondering if that is worth keeping or just scrap. Would appreciate any advice

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is as good as spot as any to post up the question.
But if you feel like selling any of the stuff, the “For Sale” section would be your friend as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff, even if it actually has value to someone, is hard to sell or give away simply because the right person isn’t looking at the right time.
Original stuff is desirable if it’s working. Old radiators are desirable if someone still lives near shop that can re-core it. Otherwise new radiators are typically cheaper and easier to get for most of us. Unfortunately.
Don’t have any real advice otherwise.
Keeping it is up to you. We generally end up with more stuff than we need, taking up space that we could use for other stuff. Scrapping is useful and ultimately recycles a lot of stuff. But someone who’s doing a religious restoration on an older bronco, would hate to miss the opportunity to pick up some of your stuff.

Where are you located? Might be a swap meet or Bronco gathering, or just a Bronco group locally you could connect with.

HoldMyPocket

Loc.
OC, CA
I usually look at the cost of repairing/renewing those items vs just buying new, as well as if the older/original parts offer any advantages and I usually find it best to just buy new personally.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
shipping new stuff to me kills it, so if I can reuse it, make it better I will.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
It really depends on the parts condition and rarity, Also some of the new parts just dont fit as good as old. I have had good luck selling used parts over the years. I have sold my total parts collections at least twice over the last 20 years. I used to be a real pack rat when it came to Bronco parts. Use this sites classified section, list the parts you have, some pictures help and maybe even offer the complete lot for a discounted price. That is what I did, listed everything and priced it more than fair for someone to come and take it all. yeah you might be able to get a few bucks more if you list it individually but it is a hassle. And if you dont want to deal with pricing list it in the free section and someone will take it!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've regularly sold used EB parts since 2008 or so when my career tanked during the recession. Although I don't sell as many parts as I did back then, I still go to swap meets to buy stuff to sell online - here and on craigslist. Radiators, gas tanks, and steering columns are a difficult (if not impossible) sell. Those are things that I would turn down even if someone offered them to me for free. They would sit in my garage for years before I found a buyer. As someone else said, put everything you have up for sale in a lot with a single price.

OP
OP
Synister3

Synister3

Contributor
Thank you guys for responding. I think I’ll put some up for free and post some up for sale. If I post them they’ll still be sitting but at least people will see they are available. I appreciate your guys time and advice.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thank you guys for responding. I think I’ll put some up for free and post some up for sale. If I post them they’ll still be sitting but at least people will see they are available. I appreciate your guys time and advice.

absolutely... Good luck

eBronc2

Contributor
When I bought my Bronco, it was sitting out in a field in Oklahoma, with no top. Farmer's kids were using it for target practice. It had no interior, no engine, but was otherwise mostly there, just....rusty. Back then (25+ years ago), I had more time and energy than money, so I was determined to save/rebuild/reuse as much and as many of the existing parts as possible - so I spent many, many hours removing, disassembling, cleaning, repairing, painting, and rebuilding every single part, from window regulators to steering columns to wiper arms. Most needed a lot of work, some were in surprisingly good shape.

Fast forward to now, I'm older, wiser (yeah, right), and have a bit more money to spend. I bought an entirely new metal body for my Bronco, and (foolishly) decided that I no longer needed the old tub, or any of the original parts...so I sold them.

Boy, I wish I had kept those parts.

Yes, it's possible to build a complete Bronco these days out of entirely new parts...but you don't really realize how MANY parts there are, and how expensive it will be to replace each and every one of them with a new part. Sure, new parts are nice. All clean and shiny and pretty. But, you pay for that newness - and sadly, a lot of times, the quality and fit of those new parts is nowhere near what the old ones were. Now, when I have to pony up another $100 or so for a couple of needed parts that I KNOW I had, and sold, it bugs the hell out of me. Yeah, I get new parts to install, but so what? There wasn't really anything wrong with the old window regulators, they worked just fine, maybe not as shiny and pretty as the new ones are, but who's going to see them inside the door? As long as they work, I could have just used the old ones and saved a bunch of money. Oh, well.

Keep old parts. Even if you think you'll never need them, never use them...you might.