• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Using both gas tanks for efi

sacbuilder

Loc.
Sacramento
I could sure use some help here. Has anyone figured out a reliable way to use both gas tanks for EFI?
I just recently purchased a Sherman Tank with the internal pump.

Many thanks.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
It is going to be a bit complicated.
It isn't any different than my chevy truck. You need an electronic switch to make it simple in the cab. The switch will change both supply and return to the appropriate tanks.
So you need another fuel pump in your reserve tank. Then mount the switch in the cab.

Its a lot of trouble for what you get.
A different solution would be to simply pump fuel from the reserve into your main tank using a low pressure fuel pump.
Simply making your reserve tankwhat is called a "transfer" tank.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
If you still want to do it let me know. I can get you the part number for the valve switch and the control switch.

cekautsky

Loc.
Alta Loma, CA
Use the second tank as fuel storage only with a low psi electric pump to transfer fuel to the main tank when it gets low. All you would need to do is be careful not to overfill the main tank. Easy enough to do by watching the fuel gauge. This is the exact system we used on our dually that had a 150gal auxiliary tank in the bed when we used to pull our race car all over the states.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
After doing the 23 gallon tank, I should have just tossed the aux tank. Really never needed and made a complicated fuel system out of it afterall. Mine was setup as a transfer style. I ran a low pressure pump and accumulator (different that your setup with a built in high pressure pump in the tank). Mine drew off either tank, through the selector valve and into the low pressure pump. Pretty much like a standard carbed duel tank setup. Only difference was the accumulator only drained back into the main tank. This made for a little fail safe. If I forgot I was transferring fuel and ran the aux tank dry I only had the fuel in the accumulator left until I stalled the engine.
Made it difficult to accidently leave the pump on and burn it up running it dry.

With your in tank high pressure pump you won't be using the accumulator. Simplist would be a simple transfer pump. Trick is finding a way to shut it off once done transferring. And you need to be diligent in making sure you ran the main tank below half before transferring. All this leaves a lot of error potential for the operator.

There is the high pressure 6-port transfer valve that can work. Means adding a second (external) high pressure pump just for the aux tank.

I found I was using the aux tank so little after the big main tank I was having issues keeping the fuel fresh. I would honestly abandon the aux tank for now and see if the 23 gallon tank alone is enough. If so, take the aux out. If you find yourself needing that extra capacity, then figure out how to use it and bring it back to life.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I could sure use some help here. Has anyone figured out a reliable way to use both gas tanks for EFI?
I just recently purchased a Sherman Tank with the internal pump.

Many thanks.

Yes. But I did it the hard way. Low pressure pump at each tank feeding a Pollack 6 port valve, accumulator, then high pressure pump. Factory tank switch controls it.

You could probably just use an external HP pump at the aux tank and the 6 port valve. Max pressure for those valves is 65psi.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Since I drive my bronco long distances (when it runs), I have needed every bit of both tanks (both are oversize and hold 35 gallons total). I am in the process of EFI and set up my aux, tank as a transfer tank with a Carter LP pump. I have an older BC EFI tank (in tank pump) in the back. I have the aux, tank set to pump into the return line. I wanted a simpler setup that a double send and return line. Not running yet, but I like how everything plumbed in.

Digger556

The cleanest way to do it is have two tanks, each with their own HP pump. Buy a 6-way valve, which will switch the SEND/RETURN lines. These could be sourced from any EFI ford truck with dual tanks.

OP
OP
S

sacbuilder

Loc.
Sacramento
It is amazing to me how friendly and willing to help the members of this forum are.
I had heard about using the auxiliary tank as a transfer I just didn't trust the source of info.
Right now I am strongly leaning towards the transfer idea.

Thank you.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I'm using the aux tank to transfer into the EFI return line. Wired it up to use the stock gauge selector switch in the dash. No issues works well less complicated.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the 23 gallon tank and use the saddle tank as a transfer tank to my daughters motorcycle when we are out in the desert. Nice not bringing extra fuel cans