• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

V8 Radiator Core Supports and Lift

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I'm about to weld in my V8 core supports for a stock radiator and will be doing a 2" body lift at the same time. Should I lower the supports 1 or 2 inches to adjust for the lift or just weld them in at the stock position? Also does the bottom of the new supports line up with the bottom of the frame? That's the only dimension I cant find. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't help you with the proper alignment for stock, but if it's even remotely an option to lower them now, I would try that.
No matter what you do, you're likely to end up having to modify something. Whether that something is the fan shroud or the mounts themselves, probably doesn't make much difference. But the mounts might be cleaner (stock looking) than adding a spacer to drop the shroud.
Or, if not a spacer, then at least some type of fastener that lets the shroud fit lower on the radiator itself.

Not sure if the mounts can be fitted lower on the support, as I've never tried it. But the concept is perfectly valid.
Is the truck assembled far enough (engine and body installed) to just test-fit it to your specs?
Reason I ask is that with body lifts, some Broncos act different than others. Just the factory variations at work. Best is to make things to fit YOUR needs while you can.

Good luck!

Paul

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I lowered my mounts 2" on the supports and it worked out pretty well. It helps to have the motor/fan in the vehicle and have the radiator/shroud for mock up. 2 pieces of 4"x4"x1/8" steel are needed to lower the top mounts. I have this one picture and I'll post some pictures later of the bottom mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
The motor is out right now, I'm doing the I6 to 302 conversion. I have a 2" WH body lift on the way. Glass Pony, I really like how that radiator sits lower in the bay. Pictures of the bottom would really help. Thanks for the help guys.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
pennyuke,
For the lower mounts I used a piece of 3"x5-1/2"x1/8" steel and a piece of 1" angle approx. 2-1/2" long (to continue the stiffener).
I threw in a couple more pics of the top also.(first 2 pics) Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
Thank you, This is exactly what I needed. Is that the WH shroud in the post above. Looks awesome...

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Thank you, This is exactly what I needed. Is that the WH shroud in the post above. Looks awesome...
Yes it is.
My plastic shroud was leaning against the wall and fell over and broke.
The steel one from WH while in the Bronco I had to change head gaskets on my 351w. I would rest the cast iron head on it (padded of course) to re-grip to set it on the engine block. Plus my big belly leaning on it for hours to perform the work.
It passed my torture test with flying colors.

OP
OP
P

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
Awesome, I really like the Wild Horses 2" Body Lift kit they just sent me. I will be ordering a shroud and a Dynacorn floor pan kit next. Thanks for your help...