• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

vacuum source for wipers

slater

Loc.
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all,
I am trying to hook up the original vacuum wipers. The PO left the wiper assembly on the windshield frame but there were no hoses. I got the correct hose but I can not seem to locate any place on the engine or carb (which I think is original) to attach the hose? Does anyone have a diagram or photo of a vacuum source? Thanks!

bluebroncodrive

Sorry I have never see them connected but it should be connected to manifold vacuum, Find a vacuum port on the intake manifold and connect to it. As you may want to add a vacuum can to help keep them working when the motor is under a load/foot on the gas.

OP
OP
S

slater

Loc.
Los Angeles, CA
thats what i thought too, but i checked the manifold and there is nothing, unless i missed it and it looks like the fuel pump is not original, since there is only an in and out for the fuel lines. any other ideas? thanks

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
just changed mine to vacuum from electrics. Vacuum was a problem until I took the vacuum tank from a 92 ford pickup (used in the heater workings) and used it as a "reservoir" Vacuum comes from the engine and is stored in the tank. Don't forget to get the little one way valves with the tank when you get it. Plumbing is easy, just look at the way it is in the pickup and you will see how to do it. There should be a vacuum port on the base of the Carb that is plugged. can have a vacuum cap on it or a hose with a little screw in the hose. ALL carbs have a vacuum port all you have to do is find it. What model carb you got?? I can point you in the right direction if you can tell me this. Pictures would be nice.

TOFIC

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I just hooked mine up to the intake manifold. Runs slow when at idle, but works fine otherwise.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
A reservoir only helps until it is emptied which could be just a few moments depending on capacity. btdt. Aside from the original fuel pump location (which is gone if you have power steering) or hooking to manifold source (which can be weak or weaker depending on your cam) the best option is an electric vacuum pump, but they are pricey. Personally I prefer the vacuum wipers and consider the pump worth it.

iirc, there was a chevy something or other car that used a vacuum pump as an assist for braking. maybe browse your local pull-a-part and look in the driver's front wheel wells until you see one.

67ster

Bronco Guru
I think I saw a vacuum pump on an Olds diesel I swapped for a gas motor but probably not many of those left ,even in the pic-a-part yards. Some GMs in the 80s used a small fenderwell mounted electric air compressor for rear shocks, like a load leveling system but most were junk even when new.