• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum source for wipers

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Question: I've always run my vacuum wipers off manifold vacuum, but that's not ideal. Since my Bronco has EFI now, I'm thinking that I could put my old mechanical fuel pump back in and hook the vacuum line to it. Anybody try this?

Before you all tell me how bad vacuum wipers are and that I should switch to electricÂ…this I know but I'm stubborn and like the old school cool factorÂ…and the Bronco is mostly a fair weather driver.

walker_creek

Not that I've tried this, but I know there are some electric vac pumps available that drag racers use because they don't have enough vacuum with those high performance engines. Like I said...no experience...just a thought.

OP
OP
Cortez

Cortez

Bronco Guru
Thanks - I've seen a couple of them and wondered if it would work

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'm thinking that I could put my old mechanical fuel pump back in and hook the vacuum line to it.

You can use the OEM fuel pump for just the wipers. My '67 was run this way when I bought it. The PO had added a simple electric fuel pump but left the original one to run the wipers.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
If you want more consistent wipers then look into the stand alone vacuum pumps. We had to use one to fix a customers lack of power brakes due to his cam and it worked really well, (also a lot cheaper than a hydroboost setup and faster to install and get him back on the road) I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well for the factory wiper system.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
X2 what Englewood said. Elect vacuum pump has plenty to run the wipers. I only have 6 1/2" of vacuum at idle so unless I had one or HBoost (which I run) I would still be running manual brakes.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't think the electric vacuum pumps (hot rod power brake helpers) will have enough volume to run wipers. Probably not enough duty cycle as well. They are intended to charge the booster with a vacuum, shut off and wait.

The mechanical fuel pump pushing air into the intake sounds like something worth trying. You still have the engine making lots of good vacuum pulling through the pump. And when you get on it the pump will still make some vacuum at a fairly good volume.

Use what you got and give it a try.