• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum source off of Carb?

COSCAG00

So I went down to get my Bronco inspected and I have an issue. When I did my engine swap from 6cyl to V8 I did not hook up my vacuum wipers. I don't plan on really needing them any time soon and will convert over to electric eventually. I was told that I need them working to pass inspection though.

So my question is where is the best place to hook them up on a 351w with a Motorcraft 2100 carb? He pretty much told me he just needs to see them move and that's it. This is the last hurdle of me getting on the road legally.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Manifold vacuum will be your best bet if you want them to work at an idle. Ported (carburetor) vacuum only kicks in when the throttle plates are open.

OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

Ok a little dense when it comes to this stuff.

I am running a Edelbrock Performer intake and I have a couple of ports off of it that I have plugged with pipe caps to seal them off (these are on the intake runners). All I would need to do is plumb it to one of those?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Ok a little dense when it comes to this stuff.

I am running a Edelbrock Performer intake and I have a couple of ports off of it that I have plugged with pipe caps to seal them off (these are on the intake runners). All I would need to do is plumb it to one of those?

Yes. I got a brass fitting from Lowes that screwed into my Edelbrock Performer intake behind the carb with a barbed hose stem. They had nylon ones too.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Yes, those plugged off ports are where your manifold vacuum would come from. But before you take them out....I would try to run off the carb. As Patterdale stated....the carb vacuum is when the throttle is applied. Hook it up to the carb and if it does not work at idle....hold the throttle in neutral and see if the vacuum is enough to make the wipers work...since you plan to convert anyway. My 2 cents.