• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Valve Cover Gasket Question

yakelys69

My driver side valve cover was leaking really bad so last night I was changing the gaskets. This is on an 89 5.0. the Pass side was normal but the driver side was odd. The bolts were loose and after pulling the cork gasket I noticed small metal disks stuck to the head they were under the gasket about .5cm by .125cm About 5 of them. They popped off with razor blade and no damage to the head.

Just curious if anyone else has ever seen this or knows why they would be there.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
They are there to prevent the gasket from being over tightened and splitting out. Common on many stock gaskets and some of the aftermarket ones as well although I've never seen them in cork gaskets.

Durtymax

They were probably from the gasket that was used before the cork one.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As mentioned, torque limiters.

Toss them. If the new gasket has them, great. If not, don't overtighten. The limiters are designed for the specific gasket they are supplied with. They are not universal. Depending on who designed the gaskets they come in all different thicknesses so trying to reuse those rings isn't a good idea.

OP
OP
yakelys69

yakelys69

Thanks for the replies, I purchased the felpro ones metal with rubber and crush sleeves, I doubt I will ever use anything else again.