• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I know I will sound stupid asking this, but is there a smart way to install these new valve cover gaskets? I bought new Felpro gaskets and as I try to install them, they slip around a little. Should I put a light coat of RTV on them to hold them in place? Should I install them on the valve covers first? Again, I know this is probably a dumb question, but I don't want to have to redo this ina month.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You could rtv them to the covers. Another option is to replace the bolts with studs.

daduze2

Loc.
Central IL
Viperwolf1 is the man on here for tech questions!!!!

Yeah...I pulled my passenger side cover the other day and it was stuck on pretty good.....PO must have used some kind of sealant. I just threw it on and bolted it back in......hopefully I wont have any leaks when I get it back on the street. I wondered if I should have sealed it back up with something....I'll find out soon enough.

If my gasket was new I would lube some gasket sealant on it.....and stick it to the valve cover first.

75bronco08

Loc.
sublimity,oregon
depends on the gasket.i use grease to hold in place on rubber gasket and grease or atv on cork.if sue atv only too cover side.just my 2cents

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I used a small amount of RTV on one side to hold the gasket to the cover. Once it dried a little I positioned the cover on the head and bolted it in place. It was much easier than I thought it would be and it gave me the chance to paint the cover and replace the elbow and grommmet for the breather. We're in business now.

I need to get started on my Duraspark conversion now, but that has me all kind of intimidated.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My desire for a dura-spark or a DUI eventually ended in an EFI swap. :)
Damm glad I did it though.

I used the new type gaskets when I did the EFI conversion. I wiped the cover and head surfaces where the gasket went with a carb cleaner wetted rag. The gasket seemed to cling to VERY clean metal just enough to get the covers on.
They seem oil tight , no , they ARE oil tight still , though it has only been 6 months. But , I have been driving the poop out of it those 6 months since the conversion.
Now for the leaky rear main. :(

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
I've always used 3m weather strip adhesive to glue them to the valve covers then a light film of RTV to the head. Multiple times on and off the gaskets always stay on the covers.