• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Valve cover opinion needed. Maybe dangerous?

joshua

Contributor
I have some scamozon cast valve covers. I bought them cuz the stamped chrome ones the engine came with were (massaged) to clear up swept boat manifolds.

Well that tweaked the one enough to leak something fierce. Since this engine is a stop gap to my 351 roller in the corner, I just bought a set of cheap cast ones hoping they will seal better. 2 issues I have. I have to screw in the baffles and I’m worried about a screw backing out. And there is no recessed lip, is that just going to cause a leak? I have the metal insert Felpro gaskets. I’m wondering if anyone has worked with anything like this, and how it turned out. See pics for a better idea.

Attachments

• CC6597DE-79C7-47D5-93E2-3C0F9F0CC2A0.jpeg
    CC6597DE-79C7-47D5-93E2-3C0F9F0CC2A0.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 344BB152-0D33-45E0-B709-9C0FCBA56BC0.jpeg
    344BB152-0D33-45E0-B709-9C0FCBA56BC0.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 965E9724-F783-4A13-B3B0-57B78CAC4967.jpeg
    965E9724-F783-4A13-B3B0-57B78CAC4967.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 66

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I have some scamozon cast valve covers. I bought them cuz the stamped chrome ones the engine came with were (massaged) to clear up swept boat manifolds.

Well that tweaked the one enough to leak something fierce. Since this engine is a stop gap to my 351 roller in the corner, I just bought a set of cheap cast ones hoping they will seal better. 2 issues I have. I have to screw in the baffles and I’m worried about a screw backing out. And there is no recessed lip, is that just going to cause a leak? I have the metal insert Felpro gaskets. I’m wondering if anyone has worked with anything like this, and how it turned out. See pics for a better idea.
People that make aftermarket parts drive me bananas.

Yes to everything that you are worried about. And do NOT use loctite, epoxy, goop, cement, or snot to enable the use of the wrong hardware. Just don't.

The factory used a drive rivet into the cast aluminum to hold the baffle. I have seen valve covers removed and the drive rivet missing. The rivets are too big to get past the oil pump screen...so as long as they make it to the pan, it's fine???

Yeah, no. Do yourself a favor. drill the valve cover boss,, thread the boss, and install a socket head screw. Drill the top of the screw and safety wire it. Aircraft have been doing it forever. Then you are Done.

Cast aluminum covers with the Fel-Pro blue metal insert re-usable gaskets for the win!

And yeah, I've done it.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
That’s a pretty good plan. Pretty small. I wonder if someone makes little bolts with them drilled

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor

Yes to everything that you are worried about. And do NOT use loctite, epoxy, goop, cement, or snot to enable the use of the wrong hardware. Just don't.

The factory used a drive rivet into the cast aluminum to hold the baffle. I have seen valve covers removed and the drive rivet missing.
This would work I’m assuming

https://www.mcmaster.com/product/90152A218

Attachments

• 37278C0B-73BF-4795-947F-FB1AD6594F12.png
    37278C0B-73BF-4795-947F-FB1AD6594F12.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I am 99% certain that nothing anyone can say now could prevent you from doing it right...

I don't know the diameter of the existing hole in the chinese boss, but if it will thread 8-32...then it will work.
😂 I’ll ef it up. I’ve never used safety wire. I don’t have the tool. I’m not sure I could get the tool in there. I’m thinking just run the wire in through them like a square and twisting it. I’ll see if I can locate a tool from a friend first.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
😂 I’ll ef it up. I’ve never used safety wire. I don’t have the tool. I’m not sure I could get the tool in there. I’m thinking just run the wire in through them like a square and twisting it. I’ll see if I can locate a tool from a friend first.
Tool is super cool and awesome, but unnecessary. You can just hand tie them together in pairs, and they will never fall out. I’m reluctant to use one wire for all 4 (6?) locations, because I don’t know where your rockers might touch.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Tool is super cool and awesome, but unnecessary. You can just hand tie them together in pairs, and they will never fall out. I’m reluctant to use one wire for all 4 (6?) locations, because I don’t know where your rockers might touch.
I have the same concern

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Dang that’s smart and simple. That’s the plan. Thank you sir.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the baffle steel? if so screw them in & tack weld the screw to the baffle - not going anywhere.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I thought of that as well. But making aluminum plate and welding to the boss. What u said makes more sense

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA

The factory used a drive rivet into the cast aluminum to hold the baffle. I have seen valve covers removed and the drive rivet missing. The rivets are too big to get past the oil pump screen...so as long as they make it to the pan, it's fine???

Yeah, no. Do yourself a favor. drill the valve cover boss,, thread the boss, and install a socket head screw. Drill the top of the screw and safety wire it. Aircraft have been doing it forever. Then you are Done.

Cast aluminum covers with the Fel-Pro blue metal insert re-usable gaskets for the win!

And yeah, I've done it.
Damnit, James....leave it to you to add one more thing on my long list...

I put loctite PERMANENT red on those Ford Motorsport baffle screws. I guess I'll see how tight they really are and if I can turn them, I'll do this as well.
Is the baffle steel? if so screw them in & tack weld the screw to the baffle - not going anywhere.
That's a great idea as well.