• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Various 351W questions

austinbrose

Okay, so I was going to put a 302 from the local junk yard in my bronco...but there's actually a shortage of 302's. However, there are 351's in about every vehicle...so I'm considering one of those instead. I know there's some parts that I'll need and I'm hoping you guys can fill in items I missed or correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the input guys.

Carb, I've got a really nice 450CFM I don't want to part with. Is it big enough.

Will my headers from my 289 work?

Height, I don't care my hood has a scoop on it anyways.

Distributor, I need one because I can't use the 289's.

Oil pan, I've heard they'll hit the axle. What if I have a lift 3.5"? They cost 200 online...what vehicle has one that will work?

Intake, yup gotta find one of those too.

Can I use my existing flywheel? It's 28 oz, which I believe is the same as the 351.

Will my little radiator work?

Are there any parts I missed?

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Hi Austin,
Carb will most likely be too small. I went a little big with a 750cfm but I also have aluminum heads, headers, higher compression, and moderate aggressive cam.

Headers will work but will not line up with the rest of the exhaust because of the extra height and width of the 351 block.

Yes, need new distributor.

New Oil pan, try this for $130, it is the exact same as what the bronco vendor sell for $180. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6675-A58/

Yes you can use the 302 flywheel.

Radiator may be too small. I wouldn't trust it personally.

If using the 302 timing cover you will need

Alternator adapter bracket- about $15

Power steering adapter bracket- about $15

or get an explorer serp. assembly for about $250
Pedestrian from here has been helping out many different people with this assembly for sale http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151644

Do a search on this website as well, there is a lot of information on the swap. It is very easy if you learn about the few different factors. I am currently putting in a rebuilt 351 and am finding it to be fairly easy because I did my homework. Good luck!

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Okay, so I was going to put a 302 from the local junk yard in my bronco...but there's actually a shortage of 302's. However, there are 351's in about every vehicle...so I'm considering one of those instead. I know there's some parts that I'll need and I'm hoping you guys can fill in items I missed or correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the input guys.

Carb, I've got a really nice 450CFM I don't want to part with. Is it big enough. ~not really but will work...~

Will my headers from my 289 work? ~yes~

Height, I don't care my hood has a scoop on it anyways. ~your fine~

Distributor, I need one because I can't use the 289's.~pump shaft is bigger,wont work~

Oil pan, I've heard they'll hit the axle. What if I have a lift 3.5"? They cost 200 online...what vehicle has one that will work? ~mine is fine~

Intake, yup gotta find one of those too. ~edlebronco's are cheap anyway and a good power adder~

Can I use my existing flywheel? It's 28 oz, which I believe is the same as the 351. !yupp shold be good~

Will my little radiator work? ~not sure...but a 4 core rad is a VERY good idea if anyone has a EB~

will need to change your exhaust cus the 351w is wider then the 289-302,and there is a bolt on the fire wall that hold on the gas pedal bracket that you will need to put two washers on,or it will be really close to your valve cover.

351w is a good swap.

Muddn7

Loc.
alamogordo, nm
I had a few problems with my headers, and needed to torch them to clear the frame. The headers that came off of the 302 didnt fit between the heads and the inner fenders. Also, the headmans that were on there blocked the linkage when attempting to fit them to the 351, for transmission linkage.
I did a slight bore with an rv cam and mid rise intake. I am currently using a 650 holley. No complaints. I would just spend the money to get a larger rad myself. Also...... Before you drop in the new torque machine, its a tight fit. Several different water pumps were available. So make sure you have the right side to radiator matching....

OP
OP
A

austinbrose

Thanks Guys!! Sounds Like I've addressed all the minor differences and it won't be much harder than a 302.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For a stock 351, the 450 CFM carb will work at least as well as a 2-barrel stocker.
289 Headers may or may not. Depends on who made them. I have had 2 sets that would and bought a Bronco once that had a set that would not work at all. Only chance would be to completely redo all the pipes on the passenger side.
Height, distributer, intake. You got those details...
Oil pan, stock 80's truck will work. Bottom the suspension once and it will leave a dent on the forward left corner of the sump, after that put your bumpstops on and all is good. Ran 10+ years that way and many others have as well. Cheap and works, just not the most elegant solution.
Radiator usually will work unless it isn't now.

Other stuff...
Keep the Bronco timing cover and accessory drives. Couple cheap little offset adapter blocks and the stock accessorys will work on the 351. Bronco timing chain cover and balancer will line up the timing marks correctly. Most 351s will have timing marks in the wrong place/4-bolt balancer and pulleys that are too deep. Keep the Bronco stuff.
The exhaust may need a little modification if you keep your headers. The headers raise up and out and if tied into single pipe they need to stretch and if true duels they may still have interference issues. All depends on how they were installed.
Keep the oil and temp sensors off the original bronco engine, sensors match the gauges and not the engine.

Sweathog

Loc.
Lansing
Oil pan... I've been told an oil pan from a mid-80's Crown Vic works nicely. Will know hopefully for sure next week.

Muddn7

Loc.
alamogordo, nm
oil pan...

I didnt mention that: Broncobowsher is right on the money with the pan! My dent almost looks factory, lol Not a leak one!