• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vendors front driveshaft angles

OP
OP
T

Texanferever

That was 2 degrees down from horizontal! not a good situation. I tore everything apart last night and did confirm the 6.25 c bushings. So, if I install the new 2 degree bushings that should be here tomorrow, that should raise the pinion to 2 degrees above horizontal, and the caster to a 6.

Then I was thinking if I were to install the 2 degree bushings upside down the pinion angle should change to 6 degrees above horizontal and the caster should be at 2. Im not sure how it would ride with 2 degrees of caster running a ram assist setup. I also don't know if the 10 degrees of caster ever actually returned to center without me making it return to center.

Any ides on that one?
FYI, I don't want to cut the outer "C's" ecpecially right now since I am going out of town this weekend and want to take the bronco wheeling.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, yeah that's probably not a good angle for a u-joint.
Not sure about how it will drive compared to now, but by most people's experiences it won't be that great on the street. However, I had about that much and was not complaining too much about how it worked on the street with manual steering.
For most of us, losing 8° of caster to save a pinion angle isn't necessarily the best trade-off.
To someone who spends more time on the road, I'd say to compromise and just get the pinion where it's useable and not binding, to keep some of the positive caster.

Since yours is not run on the street that much though, 2° of positive caster will probably be pretty acceptable and getting that pinion back into kilter will be a good thing.
Worth the time to experiment anyway. Even if you're going to be changing the whole thing out at some point.

Let us know how it works out and what you think about it all when it's done.
What's your plan for front axle eventually? Basic upgrade or something truly exotic?

Have fun this weekend!

Paul

OP
OP
T

Texanferever

Front axle will eventually be a dana 60. I really like the idea of having running gear that will be very dependable with the wider stance. I should be able to sell my current axles which will cover about two thirds of the cost of a set of dana 60's. I have upgraded everything in the dana 44 which should buy me a couple of years before anything explodes. That being said, if it does grenade, I will move forward with one tons after selling the axles I have now.

thanks for the help donk. I am going to put those 2 degree in backwards and test it. I'll let you know how it works out.

OP
OP
T

Texanferever

Got the 2 degree bushings in late last night, and I did put them in upside down. Measuring the same way as before my caster is now at 4 degrees. The pinion angle looks quite a bit better, but I can't remember what it measured out to. I have not driven it on the road yet, and that will have to wait until next week.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Front axle will eventually be a dana 60. I really like the idea of having running gear that will be very dependable with the wider stance. I should be able to sell my current axles which will cover about two thirds of the cost of a set of dana 60's. I have upgraded everything in the dana 44 which should buy me a couple of years before anything explodes. That being said, if it does grenade, I will move forward with one tons after selling the axles I have now.

thanks for the help donk. I am going to put those 2 degree in backwards and test it. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bone stock D60 with EFI 351W HP is holding up for now - I've popped one stub so far with my cut 37" boggers.. I've broken more D70 parts than D60 parts...