• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

very frustrated!!

broncoboy2828

Loc.
Boonies
hey guys, got another problem with the ol pony, she just will not start. i think now that it is an electrical problem because it wont push start, or just start on its own. its getting fuel and oxy, and it wants to start, shes trying, but it just wont fire up. the battery juice is fine, im not sure if i wired it up wrong but it has started in the past. this has been a looong day under the hood, and i just cant figure it out. i pulled the spark plugs off and cleaned them, please help me out you guys havent let me down yet.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
What exactly is happening?
Is it turning over?
Does something just "click"?
Does nothing happen?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What have you done to it recently? Need a lot more info here. Are you getting spark at the plugs? pull one and crank it over while grounding the spark plug.

saddlebronc

Loc.
TJ
You may also want to check your coil. Make sure the wires are connected good, or maybe the coil is bad.
dont get discouraged.... :)

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If you have fire and gas and no go you mite want to look at the timming. If it is a old motor you mite have jumped timming it dose happen good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
BB, lets start with the basics. Fuel,fire,air. got to have all three.......and at the right time (fire) Air is a given.....to make sure remove the air cleaner cover and check the filter. Fire.....pull a plug and stick it in a plug wire, lay the plug on the engine so you can see the electrode and have someone turn the mill over while looking for spark at the electrode. You should have it. We will get back to this in a moment. Fuel....pump the gas pedel or linkage and look down the carb throat, you should see gas.

Ok, here we go...

got air,fire no fuel......pour a LITTLE gas in the carb and try to start. If runs and dies look to the fuel system. (fuel pump, hole in line,dirty carb,or no gas in the tank. %) ;D

got air, fuel, no fire.....coil,coil wire,rotor,cap,points,plugs or electronic ign box. Also have someone turn the mill over with the dist cap off to make sure the rotor turns. (if not, timing chain broken)

got air,fuel,fire.....The question is now timing, (firing at the right time) Little more complex for you. Have to determine #1 Top dead center,Pull dist cap and determine that rotor is pointed at #1 terminal on the cap. If not maybe timing jumped a tooth or dist needs to be turned a little to line up to get it started. If so then a timing tune-up will need to be done to get it where it needs to be.

Let us know how you do and what you come up with.

OP
OP
B

broncoboy2828

Loc.
Boonies
thank you

hey thanks guys for all of the replys, i got air, i got fuel, but no spark, im going to pull the plugs and check for spark, and look into my timing, what gets me is that it ran and started and everything but my battery was draining, so i fixed that problem (wire to the altenator was hooked up incorrectly) but ever since i fixed that it wont start. im gonna first go throught all of my wiring and make sure everything is hooked up correctly, im pretty sure it is, but im gonna check just in case, i dont think its my coil becuz i just bought a new one, but maybe my wiring is wrong, :p but anyways im going to go through it all with your guys advice, thank you again ill let you no how it turns out

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
"...no spark"
?
So nothing happens? then selonoid or battery not getting juice to solenoid
Is the starter turning over? if yes check coil
Does something click? that's your selonoid working and I'd suspect bad starter

OP
OP
B

broncoboy2828

Loc.
Boonies
ok i pulled one of my spark plugs out and had my dad check to see if there was spark while i turned the truck over, he said there was a little bit of spark but not a lot. i dont think it is the starter because it sounds good when it turns over, and theres no clicking or ne thing. i think it might be my coil, the only prob with that is that it is brand new. how do you check to see if the coil is working?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
broncoboy2828 said:
ok i pulled one of my spark plugs out and had my dad check to see if there was spark while i turned the truck over, he said there was a little bit of spark but not a lot. i dont think it is the starter because it sounds good when it turns over, and theres no clicking or ne thing. i think it might be my coil, the only prob with that is that it is brand new. how do you check to see if the coil is working?

If you have a timing light handy, put the inductive clamp on the fat coil wire while the pos & neg are hokked to the battery and crank the engine over while someone points the t-light and pulls the trigger.
If it sparks, the coil is good.

In fact, you can do this to each plug wire to be sure they're all getting spark.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
craigaria said:
Do you have points ignition? If so it may be the condensor...

Or the ign mod if electronic. Put the old coil back in and try it. You want to make sure your getting 12v to the coil when cranking.

OP
OP
B

broncoboy2828

Loc.
Boonies
what about filing my points on my distributor? i talked to my grandpa about my problem and that is what he suggested, i told him about all of your guys suggestions but the only problem is that i dont have all those tools for that. liek for testing my coil, he is really sure that it is just my points because i went and turned it over and she almost started up it gets really close, but then dies back down to just the starter crankin, then back up to getting close to starting and so on in that fashion, ;) ill keep ya guys updated

craigaria

Loc.
Monroe, GA
broncoboy2828 said:
what about filing my points on my distributor? i talked to my grandpa about my problem and that is what he suggested, i told him about all of your guys suggestions but the only problem is that i dont have all those tools for that. liek for testing my coil, he is really sure that it is just my points because i went and turned it over and she almost started up it gets really close, but then dies back down to just the starter crankin, then back up to getting close to starting and so on in that fashion, ;) ill keep ya guys updated

I just had to replace my points and condensor. It was an easy job, although you will need a feeler gauge, dwell meter, and a timing light. Here is a link to instuctions for replacement. I did get my truck running just by setting the points with a feeler gauge, but it didn't run good until I adjusted with the dwell meter (24-28 degrees) and set the timing (10 degrees). It sounds like your condensor is going bad, and your local parts store will have a points and condensor set for about $10. Hope this helps, Craig

http://www.mustanggrabber.com/_Tuneup.htm

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
yes you can file the points to clean up. Just to see if it will run. The old timers used to set the points with a matchbook also. (gap was the thickness of the matchbook cover) while your there with the cap off, look at the inside of the cap where the terminals are and clean off any carbon build-up there and on the tip of the rotor. if she fires and runs think about spending a couple of bucks and get yourself a tune-up kit with points,condensor,rotor. Hell look at the plugs also to see that the electrodes are nice and square/flat not rounded and clean.......otherwise known as a "simple tune-up" ;) ;D

OP
OP
B

broncoboy2828

Loc.
Boonies
ok so i just got back from soccer practice and filed the points, cleaned the rotor head (cap) and went to fire her up and she still wont start!! ?:? man this is making me mad, i did that before reading about the condensor, what is that? where is it located? i really appreciate you guys helping me, :) thank you, i wish i knew as much as you guys to just fix the problem haha, i'll go through from the plugs to the distributor, i dont think it is my coil tho becuase it is new, another thing is that my neg cable from my battery to my frame is smoking when i turn it over, maybe that has something to do with it?? or maybe that needs to be a thicker wire, we'll see
thanx ~adam (newbie)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The condenser is under the dist cap its the small silver cylinder with a wire coming out and connected to the points. It could also be attached to the coil. Get a new set of points and condensor and a new coil. coils are cheap you may want to change the plug wires also as the stock type wires go bad with time and handleing the graphite inside may developes gaps/breaks causing resistance to go up and letting little to no spark get to the plugs this can also cause the coil to fail because its trying to jump to large a gap. If you can get some quality wires that are spirel core you would be better off. Most autoparts stores will try and sell stock replacements. but may have accel or msd aftermarket wires availible if you ask.

craigaria

Loc.
Monroe, GA
Try the points and condensor first. I just had the same exact problem, and it was a cheap fix. My truck runs perfect now. I thought it was my coil at first and it wasn't. Unfortunately I threw away my old (good) coil, and I couldn't return the new one when I found the problem. I went to advance auto parts and bought the points and condensor as a set for $10. It took me about 3 minutes to swap the parts and about 1 min to adjust with the feeler gauge. It fired right up. I borrowed a dwell meter to dial it in because it still wasn't quite right. Then I just checked my timing and it has been running great since. I was a bit scared of points ignition at first because I did't understand it, but it is really simple after you do it once. If you are still not getting a strong fire after that it is probably the coil. It is also not a bad idea to change the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor too if it hasn't been done in a long while. To do a full tune up would cost around $60 to $100 depending on the parts you buy... Hope this helps, Craig