• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIN Mismatch = Stolen Bronco?

runguyrun

So what does it mean when the door sticker VIN does not match the VIN stamped on the frame? The frame VIN is only a partial but the last couple digits clearly don't match.
Is there any legitimate reason for a mismatch?
The Marti report on the door sticker VIN seems to go against everything I know about the vehicle (color, trim, state of origin) which is what led me to look for the frame VIN.
I don't think I can run a Marti report on a partial VIN but is there a place to look up stolen Bronco VINs for a possible match?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
So what does it mean when the door sticker VIN does not match the VIN stamped on the frame? The frame VIN is only a partial but the last couple digits clearly don't match.
Is there any legitimate reason for a mismatch?
The Marti report on the door sticker VIN seems to go against everything I know about the vehicle (color, trim, state of origin) which is what led me to look for the frame VIN.
I don't think I can run a Marti report on a partial VIN but is there a place to look up stolen Bronco VINs for a possible match?

Where did you find the frame VIN? There are 2 locations where there would be a full VIN on the frame.

Here is one list of stolen Broncos. Not all are included, of course.

http://broncodriver.com/stolen.html

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Seems to me that most door frame stickers are long gone on the vast majority of Broncos that I've seen. Not saying its right or even legal to remove them but mine was gone when I bought it. The frame VIN and the glove compartment lid VIN should match but if they don't, it wouldn't be the first time that someone's discovered that their Bronco is really one good rig made from two or three different ones. You should be able to get a VIN verification done pretty easily if you really are concerned that it could be stolen; you very likely have a paper trail in the form of a title that likely went through your state's system upon transfer of ownership at some point as well.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
If ur ale to title it then you are good. If you haven't titled it ur DMV may want to see the frames VIN if its from out of state. Some states take the glovebox door, not here in SC.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Years back I moved to Arizona...from California....My 67. BRONCO was registered to myself..And so I thought it would be a no-brainer to get plates in AZ. What a Run Around....Finally Left The DMV...With Plates on My Truck, on The Wife's car, my Car Trailer, and My Hobie Cat, and Early zbronco I had to get a Surety bond........This Made No Sence To Me....AT ALL....ULTIMATELY.....WE RAN BACK TO CALIFORNIA....

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Most likely it does not mean your bronco was stolen. Its either two broncos made from one or someone bought a glove box door with a paper title because its so dad gum hard to get a title if you have one with no paperwork.

Don't worry about the door sticker you can order one with the right number on it. If the glove box matches the paper and your state doesn't look at the frame just get it registered in your name and go on. Two states don't even have titles on vehicles this old. And up in the rust belt you would be very hard pressed to find a number on ANY frame this old. Stop asking questions you don't really want an answer to and go on with life. Heck TX doesn't even look at the bronco period, they figure you have a piece of paper its good to go because ANY number on an old Bronco can be easily faked, including the frame. You can buy glove box VIN tags, door stickers and number punches. If the vehicle was stolen and someone went to the trouble of changing the glove box door he could just as easily changed the frame to match and avoided it ever coming back on him.

Some states make it so hard for a law abiding citizen to get a lost title I bet there are more Broncos with numbers that don't match than most people on this site would ever imagine. And this isn't just a problem with broncos. I read that there are more 32 ford roadsters registered as 32s on the road than FORD even made. Heck up until the mid to late 30s the VIN for a ford was on the timing gear cover. and the title followed the engine.

Every state I have ever lived in never asked for any evidence that the title matched anything and the vehicle inspection guys just look at the body VIN tag. Most Bronco owners probably never even look beyond the glove box door.

People on this site are the exception not the rule.

OP
OP
runguyrun

runguyrun

Yes, I should have said "door post sticker" rather than "door sticker".
It is registered and totally legit with the title matching the sticker VIN.
It didn't have the glove box tag and now I see that the frame VIN (right above the starter) doesn't match. The door post sticker actually looks pretty new. All these clues add up to something not right.
I could just ignore this little secret and no one would ever know but if I'm going to drive around in a piece of history I would prefer to know that it doesn't involve a shady past.

I checked the broncodriver stolen list and didn't get it match. They don't have much there. After reading some of the stories I started putting a Club on mine.

L&D's Broncos

Wrong VIN

Like stated above, there are probably more out there than you would think with wrong numbers. My 72' is only that on paper. Glove box door is correct, frame is 74' ( less rust ), and will be a 77' frame in a few years. Doors are 68' ( removeable window frames ), front axle is 77' ( power disc ), rear axle is 76' ( 11 X 2 1/4 brakes), tailgate is 73' ( less rust ), dash is 75' Ranger and so on and so.......one of the most common switches is to change a 77' or 76' to a 67' or 66' to get them away from emission laws.

Johnny Cash would be proud of how many pieces make up this one! :)

broncorckcrwlr

Loc.
London, Ky
I bought my first bronco, a 68 many many years ago from a guy about 30 miles away. I knew nothing about bronco except that I wanted one. He had sold the one I went to look at but had another that he was getting ready to paint and we worked out a deal on it. Several years later as I learned more about them I decided to check all my numbers. The one on the frame doesn't match the one in the glove box and neither of them is the number on the title. ;D

OP
OP
runguyrun

runguyrun

VIN Location

One place is on top portion of frame close to the starter. I believe there is also another stamped area, not sure where.
The answer is in the forums if you search. That is how I figured out where to look. 1 is on top of the frame right above the starter motor on the passenger side. Just behind the hole in the frame. I worked it over with a hand held wire brush and found nothing. Then I got out my drill with wire brush and it started to appear. I took pictures as i went in case I accidentally went too deep and removed some numbers. 40 years of rust leaves a lot to uncover.
The 2nd VIN is supposed to be back near the rear shock but it seems to me you would need the body off to find it. I didn't try that one.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you got one of the Frankenstein Broncos that someone built by combining several Broncos into one.
Do a search, about once a week someone sells a title and matching glove box door with VIN plate. And someone else buys them and uses them to make a bronco appear 'clean' to the buyer or titling agency.
Your Bronco is unlikely to be made of stolen parts, but it's worth less when you go to sell it and the buyer refuses due to the VIN discrepancy.