• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIN Number Question....

miztergentz

Loc.
Pensacola Florida
As you can tell, I am BRAND NEW here... I bought a '66 that I am going to pick up Saturday and have already compiled a list of things I plan to do/buy for her.... Here is my question: Vin number interpretation and a build sheet...how do I find out what my Bronco had when new? Is it possible to purchase a build sheet from Ford? I have NEVER owed a classic, so I need a little help!

Thanks

OP
OP
M

miztergentz

Loc.
Pensacola Florida
Great !

That told me several things about my new '66.....told me that it's the original color (L= Holly Green) that is has the 4.11 gear and that the 3 on the tree is original. It also states that it's a 170 6 cyl, built in December in the Michigan truck plant. There are several other numbers that I don't understand...

I have not even picked my EB up yet and I am already getting addicted to not only this site but all the things I am wanting to do....

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
That told me several things about my new '66.....told me that it's the original color (L= Holly Green) that is has the 4.11 gear and that the 3 on the tree is original. It also states that it's a 170 6 cyl, built in December in the Michigan truck plant. There are several other numbers that I don't understand...

I have not even picked my EB up yet and I am already getting addicted to not only this site but all the things I am wanting to do....

What is your VIN?

Yes, you can order a build sheet from Ford. I just ordered one a little while back. 1-800-392-3673.

OP
OP
M

miztergentz

Loc.
Pensacola Florida
Thanks JGBronc...

Heres the VIN # 092 L U150 798 C 03 24 then these numbers are on the tag as well: U15FL790290

I'll call that number this week and order the build sheet. What kinda price are we looking at?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Heres the VIN # 092 L U150 798 C 03 24 then these numbers are on the tag as well: U15FL790290

I'll call that number this week and order the build sheet. What kinda price are we looking at?

The numbers you said are on the tag as well is actually the VIN. Yours was originally a wagon. The first three characters is what determines the body style. U13 would be Roadster, and U14 would be Half-Cab.

The Ford build sheet is free. The Marti report does cost, but they are very cool.

Scott C.

Loc.
Waynetown IN
U15FL790290= U15 (wagon) F= engine code for 170CI inline 6 cylinder L= Michigan Plant
092= 92"wheel base
L= paint code for Holly Green
U150=model code for wagon with 3900lbs GVW
798= The 7 is unsure books show 1 as silver vinyl interior and 98 as body code for wagon (long roof) (All 66 had silver vinyl interior)
C= 3 speed manual shift
03= 4:11 open diferential 2780lbs axle
24= destination code for Jacksonville

What type of seat arrangement does it have? Front bench, dual buckets, drivers only bucket, rear seat? I am thinking that the 7 is dual front bucket seats, 6 is for drivers side only bucket seat and 1 is for bench seat.
Does it still have the "buck tag" that hung on the fire wall?

ghost66

Bronco Guru
U15FL790290= U15 (wagon) F= engine code for 170CI inline 6 cylinder L= Michigan Plant
092= 92"wheel base
L= paint code for Holly Green
U150=model code for wagon with 3900lbs GVW
798= The 7 is unsure books show 1 as silver vinyl interior and 98 as body code for wagon (long roof) (All 66 had silver vinyl interior)
C= 3 speed manual shift
03= 4:11 open diferential 2780lbs axle
24= destination code for Jacksonville

What type of seat arrangement does it have? Front bench, dual buckets, drivers only bucket, rear seat? I am thinking that the 7 is dual front bucket seats, 6 is for drivers side only bucket seat and 1 is for bench seat.
Does it still have the "buck tag" that hung on the fire wall?

There are a few numbers that don't match up to the decoder on my 66 Bronco. It shows 092 S U150 198 C 03 64.
What is color code S and what is destination code 64 ?

Last edited:

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Interesting, Poppy Red wasn't available in a 66 so how does that work? Don't know if it had a bench seat it certainly doesn't have one now