• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

vintage air for eb, anyone running one?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i had my lars bracket made for my ecu and have found that the bracket will not work with BC Broncos a/c setup. Can anybody running a vintage air (the one on their website and the one i think broncograveyard sells) tell me if there is room under the dash for the lars bracket (the bracket bolts in the the center speaker grill and too the tranmission tunnel).

getfuzzy

Talk to Chuck at BCB. The unit he sells is made by Vintage Air but with so changes.

bajabronc

Loc.
West Hollywood
I am running chucks version of the vintage air setup with the stock mustang serp compressor & bracket on my 351W- works great.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have one of the original universal Vintage Air models in a '67 with the Sanden compressor on the 170 I-6. Works great but is not what I would call a 'clean' installation..LOL. MAtches the rest of the truck just fine though.....:D

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BC Broncos unit is going to prohibit the use of my lars bracket for my ecu. bmc what side is your compressor on and where is the bulkhead for the hoses? the vintage air one I looked at is for broncos and landcruisers, i know it is not going to be as easy to install as chucks.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Go to a gen IV unit. It fits real good and the pluming is in the top passenger firewall

backpain

Bronco Guru
Go to a gen IV unit. It fits real good and the pluming is in the top passenger firewall

Bax,
I disagree. Length between pass. kick panel and trans tunnel really limits custom bigger unit installs. Pls prove me wrong - I want to fit a larger/better unit in there, but after running through the entire product set of evap/heater unit dimensions and few phone conversations, and then a few mock-ups, I thought I determined (a year or so ago) that no Gen IV under dash unit would fit w/o extensive trans tunnel reworking.

What did you discover? Please tell more. . . .

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bax,
I disagree. Length between pass. kick panel and trans tunnel really limits custom bigger unit installs. Pls prove me wrong - I want to fit a larger/better unit in there, but after running through the entire product set of evap/heater unit dimensions and few phone conversations, and then a few mock-ups, I thought I determined (a year or so ago) that no Gen IV under dash unit would fit w/o extensive trans tunnel reworking.

What did you discover? Please tell more. . . .

How about some pictures to prove you incorrect. The gen IV fits without any firewall mods. In fact it molds around the trans tunnel like it was made for it.

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 230
  • P1010001_3.JPG
    P1010001_3.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 229
  • P1010002_3.JPG
    P1010002_3.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 227
  • P1010003_3.JPG
    P1010003_3.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 226
  • P1010004_2.JPG
    P1010004_2.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 218

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have one of the older Vintage Air Units. The old unit looks a lot bigger. The fan on your Gen IV even looks a lot smaller. Does it move enough air without being too noisy?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have one of the older Vintage Air Units. The old unit looks a lot bigger. The fan on your Gen IV even looks a lot smaller. Does it move enough air without being too noisy?

The air on high make noise. Most of the noise is from it rushing thru the 4 ducts. The fan itself is not that bad. The system has worked well in the hot florida temps for two years. The hardest thing about any ac in a bronco is getting a big enough condenser to fit. If you cant cool the condenser your system will never work well.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The air on high make noise. Most of the noise is from it rushing thru the 4 ducts. The fan itself is not that bad. The system has worked well in the hot florida temps for two years. The hardest thing about any ac in a bronco is getting a big enough condenser to fit. If you cant cool the condenser your system will never work well.

Broncos atruggle with air flow through the radiator and condenser. That's why so many Bronco A/Cs struggle with high head pressure. It makes it difficult to get a full charge in.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I agree. I have 2 spal 9'' fans on mine. it seem to do the job well. I seriously thought about mounting a larger condenser in front of the front crossmember. laying flat like the strobbe oil coolers.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru

I installed a BCB unit and the only way it will work without freezing up is with the fan on high. On high it's real noisy.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BC Broncos unit is going to prohibit the use of my lars bracket for my ecu. bmc what side is your compressor on and where is the bulkhead for the hoses? the vintage air one I looked at is for broncos and landcruisers, i know it is not going to be as easy to install as chucks.

I'll see if I can snap a couple pics of the install. Like I said..its ugly but functional..just like the surf-fishing beater that its installed in.;D

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I installed a BCB unit and the only way it will work without freezing up is with the fan on high. On high it's real noisy.

Did you try mixing just a little heat in with it. this can help with the freeze up.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Did you try mixing just a little heat in with it. this can help with the freeze up.

I have tried so many things now that I don't remember them all. I think I tried to use a little heat but didn't really notice a difference. So far the only thing that will keep it from freezing is to run the fan on high. It will work great on medium for about 30 minutes but then it freezes up and starts cycling on and off which causes the air temp at the vent to go up into the 60s.

backpain

Bronco Guru
How about some pictures to prove you incorrect. The gen IV fits without any firewall mods. In fact it molds around the trans tunnel like it was made for it.

It really is pretty shallow isn't it? I guess I never considered that one of the units might fit right over the tunnel and still leave room. Now I have more decisions to make . . . ..

And VA's literature even says it fits high trans tunnels and stepped firewalls well. Kicking myself.