• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage Air Gen 4 AC Worth Doing?

willwinkler

Loc.
Austin
Rebuilding my dash, so now is the time to make the go/no go decision on adding AC. Mostly run with bikini top or no top. Would appreciate any insight on how well these systems perform. Even with no top, some cool air on me might make the difference between driving the rig or not when it's 105 in Austin, TX.
Thanks!

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
I decided to go with the vintage air here in Florida. I will pull the hard top off in the winter when it is dry and cool. Humidity and temp this summer convinced me to move away from a soft top.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. I'm going to subscribe to this just so I can see all the answers.
Man I'd love to have AC in my Bronco .. If I had AC that worked I might drive it more..
But 1500.00 too 2000.00 finished product. That's a lot of expense for each trip to town.
1ST TRIP YOU'VE got 2000.00 in that trip. 2nd trip it. only a grand.
Now the 10th trip you've only got 200.00 & the 50th trip you've still got $40.00in that trip.
.... That's how I LOOK AT THINGS.
... But I hate to say that most of these kind of add ons ..Just never work like the instructions say they will.
It's hard to say how many post guys just can't get it working after all this money has been spent.
.............. BUT NOW REMEMBER We may never hear from the Guy who puts his in & it work perfect .. We may just be hearing all the bad news.
... But I'm with you Brother I want AC in my BRONCO.
...MINE IS A Diesel & I HAVE TO mfg several brackets to get mine working .
I've cheated when I find a part or bracket that'll work on mine I've added it to my motor. So I'VE GOT Pulleys ADDED TO my motor. & I've been planning on putting a compressor on it . & Put power to the compressor & use it as a AIR COMPRESSOR for on board air. I could have air while waiting on the rest of the AC.

Capt.junk&crap

Loc.
Bristol
I am I the middle of installing it it my Bronco. Suffice to say the more your Bronco is modified the less things are "plug and play". I am learning to hate that phrase!

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1ST TRIP YOU'VE got 2000.00 in that trip. 2nd trip it. only a grand.
Now the 10th trip you've only got 200.00 & the 50th trip you've still got $40.00in that trip.

I’m down to $200/trip on the first day then. I make every excuse to drive mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I am installing a Vintage Air system right now in a 76 Ranger. It is no small task! I have almost 20 hours into my install so far and I'm about 90 percent done. I have high hopes for it once it's done. If you have the chance to do this with the dash out of the Bronco......DO IT!! It would be 100% easier with no dash in the way. This Bronco will be driven around in the summer with only a Bikini top (106 degrees here today) so I'll have some real world feedback here next week once the system is operational.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
My A/C work OK with a full top, carpet, and good insulation on the floor and top, but I bet with no top and 100 degrees out you will not be able to tell the A/C is even on. :p

tbratz

I hate to say it, but my AC install is the most disappointing thing I have done to my Bronco. I installed the Vintage Air unit from BC Bronco several years ago and I am really thinking of taking most of it out. I may leave the under dash part in, since I like the heater. I really dislike how close you have to move the fan to the radiator to get the compressor to clear the fan. The way the compressor mounts, the belt doesn't go over much of my power steering pulley and the power steering pump is always slipping, especially in 4WD. It also does not cool very well. I live in northern Arizona and it works okay if it's not over 85 outside. I took it to several shops and their opinion is that the condenser is way to small to really be effective. When I ordered mine I saw they offered an "upgraded version" condenser that has more fins or something, which might help. I do have a full cab, and thought about trying it with my half cab on to see if it cools better in that smaller space. Overall, I would never do it again, I would rather spend the money on one of the throttle body injection kits.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Rebuilding my dash, so now is the time to make the go/no go decision on adding AC. Mostly run with bikini top or no top. Would appreciate any insight on how well these systems perform. Even with no top, some cool air on me might make the difference between driving the rig or not when it's 105 in Austin, TX.
Thanks!
To get an idea as how well it will work drive your new car with ac on. Open the sun roof, roll down all the windows (did I say roll down?) and see how cool it stays inside at 50mph and above. This is the time of year to check it out around Austin.

Last edited:

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
And if that is not enough, the super-duper Gen XYZ kits require that you block off 50 per cent of the fresh air source (passenger's side air inlet). So even when you don't need AC you will want to turn it on because there is no longer any fresh, cool air for the passenger side. Yes, I know, most people never miss that vent. But most people seem not to understand how the heater/fresh air controls work. So there you are. I am still waiting for a proper AC installation kit.
Frankly, from where I am sitting, the old-school underdash kits have some advantages in this respect.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
VA really needs to come up with a unit with a fresh air heater.
It would sell!
It's not just a Bronco thing, they don't offer a fresh air system for any application.?:?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... WOW WHAT I said. I Had a Below dash unit i an old 65 CHEVY PICKUP & iT KICKED Ass . I have alway felt those units worked good .. I HAD MY PARTS STORE back in 1967+ & I sold a lot of those units to My Local Ford Dealership .. I believe those unit I sold were ARA Brand. Back in the day Seems like $185.00 complete kit.
..Sad those comments about the units we have available. Seems to support the way I've read between the lines over the last several years .
... We still need a great AC built.
...... & I believe it can be built.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Now for MY BRONCO .. YES I'VE DROOLED over an AC unit in mine for 5+ years. But the stories above are what's kept me from finding the CASH..
MY THOUGHTS...
Mine is a half cab. 2/3 easier to cool ...
PUT in lots of insulation .. I've got that... I've filled all the cracks with Spray Bed liner & Then most everything also has Spray undercoating over it. Every hole in the fire wall I've sprayed covered. I've added insulation under the CARPET ... Carpet really helps on noise & dust & air getting in to keep AC FROM WORKING .
...Half Cab I've added insulation Up behind the seats to the middle of my back. & My Carpet goes up to where the Top attaches .. & I've added about 1/2 inch of that Bubble Insulation In the top of my Half cab.. It is stuck in place with Spray Glue 1st Then I found about 15 Extra Strong Magnets & they hold the insulation in place.
I also attach tools to those magnets . . Pliers.. screwdrivers... wrench sets .. a Saw..
Nothing has ever fallen from the roof. Did I SAY THOSE are strong magnets .
.... Now after all I've done to prepare for AC .. I still can't pull the trigger on a unit .
Too much money for it not to work.
... & My Bronco has a 4 SPEED SHIFTER IN THE WAY. So I can't add an under dash unit to mine.
... I need the section of the heater box. & Dash Vents .. I think I can Improvise the condenser .. DRYER no issue for me. I can make the hoses at my work.
... Dash Switches panels .......... But what I'm thinking I'M Handing myself a lot of engineering to do & I'm not sure If I wan't a project that I have to design for 2 summers.
..... But I jus rather buy one . & it work.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Installed my VA in 2002. Have an insulated hard top along with added insulation everywhere except in the doors. My fresh air vents are called wind wings.
Very seldom to l leave the ac on high. It gets rather cold in the Bronco.

I used a 86 to 93 Mustang front dress. I didn't care for hoses etc on top of the engine so I put the compressor in the smog pump mount. That mounted the compressor out far enough too keep the fan from fighting with the compressor clutch. Not sure that works with headers. My engine is all stock except for a Q-jet and the Mustang parts. The ac has the old vacuum solenoids in the controls. I have two 8" pusher fans in front of the condenser for cooling at idle and cooler ac at idle. They don't seem to do any good at any other time.

I have both fresh air vents blocked. It keeps a lot of dirt and dust out of the cab when I am offroad.

I haven't been back to an AC shop since the unit was charged in 2002.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bought it, no, bought two complete versions, and did not install. I kept hearing the best you can do is keep your kneecap cool.

I live in PHX, so that matters as to why no AC, why waste the money and time to make it NOT work?

I had the ARA dealer installed in my 73, seemed to work OK when it was 85 degree's, removed it before it hit 100 though.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm with Mars and others, I wish they would come out with a unit that has fresh air, it just makes sense. I use both of my fresh air vents all the time in the summer, leave the heater valve closed and fresh air open along with the driver vent, makes a huge difference in keeping it cool as long as I don't have to sit in traffic for long periods of time. the worst part about not having AC here in the south is when it rains, the humidity is so high and no way to get it out.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I took a week off from work to do my BC/VA a/c unit.

I let it take the whole week....it was July and I am in Orlando and well....its hot in that damn garage, lol.

Would I do it again.
Yes.
Give yourself plenty of time and take on one section at a time. Very very DIY.

Is it worth it?

Mine will freeze you out if its not above 90 out.
At that point it is only just comfortable and really begins to struggle at say 97.

Having said that, I have absolutely no insulation.
None. Nada. None on the roof, no head liner, no carpet, no floor insulation, nothing soooo....considering that,....I think it works pretty good. Insulation is coming next year.
Doing some other stuff to the eb right now.

But yes, its worth it.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Bronconut Is yours a full cab or a Half Cab. Mine being a Half Cab & With all the coatings & insulationI have in mine. I THINK mine should stay cool if I used the Big .. Compressor . & I'M NOT SURE if a guy can get a big condensors added in front of the radiator.
... But I'm not above giving mine a try If I can find the dash & under behind dash parts .

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Im with surfer, I pulled mine when it just made no sense to have no fresh air to defrost or just use.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I might be interested in a used evaporator unit. I’m piecing my own system together because of how custom my bronco is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk