• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage Air Gen 4 AC Worth Doing?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I disagree, sort of...
Not in your logic of course, as moisture and rust are always at the top of the discussion list with Broncos. And that fast-arrving thunder storm and salty air are bad juju. But they're not universal for this discussion, and likely in my neck of the woods is of a very low probability even on the coast.

But when I made that blanket statement I was thinking of all the options we have these days when it comes to insulation. And the fact that most of our Broncos are never going to have rust issues again due to our diligence in keeping it at bay even if moisture is an issue where you live.

Spray-on products like Lizard Skin, inside or out. Stick-on products like Boom Mat and Dynamat. If you stick some of them on the engine compartment side of the engine compartment they can work well and not be major sources of rust. Yes, moisture gets in, but if installed properly it doesn't get far. And when you drive it and let the heat evaporate things, it's not going to be much worse than not covering it at all.
I've had Dynamat on the firewall of my F350 for over twenty years and apparently (so far knock on wood!) no moisture issues at all. Of course, drought conditions and no salt that many of us live in these days is a big help.
Again, when done carefully, not much moisture is going to get underneath a stick-on product anyway.

With so many doing spray on bedliners for their interiors and not worrying about moisture getting under it (it can and will in some areas) then a spray-on product that actually insulates would be a great option I think. And no more likely to have rust issues underneath than other products.

And are we really parking and driving our Broncos in the rain and snow and other situations where it's really going to get wet, without a top or cover of some kind? And do we really still just let them stay wet, sitting un-driven with water on the floors anymore? I bet most are not going to let that happen to their investment anymore.
And the OP said "mostly" too, which makes me think that it's going to be covered and protected by a top at least at some times. Usually the really wet times.
Either that or it's just not likely to be driven in the rain without a top very often.
I know you said sudden downpours, but you just can't protect against everything every time. However you can do something about it afterwards to make sure you don't suffer in the future.
Same as changing your diff lube after a stream crossing or a few snow runs. It's just the extra work you go to in order to save your investment.

Windshield frames rust. Door bottoms and tailgates rust. Cowls, skirts and kick panels rust. Floors rust too. All without ever having had any kind of coating or covering on them.
So personally I'd rather insulate the crap outta the thing and do my diligence in drying it out if I let it get rained on without a top.
I know it happens. But since I've owned mine, I've never let water sit unmolested for any length of time. Even with carpet and trim hold-downs, I still lift it up if I know it's wet.
When I bought it there was a swamp under the factory mat that the PO's could easily have just lifted the corner of to let air out and did not do that. Instead they'd let it rust through to the outside in less than five years from it's manufacture date. And literally the only thing on the floor, other than the paint, was a simple slapped on floor mat.

So I really do think it's up to the individual owner to do whatever is necessary to keep the water from sitting long enough to do damage to all that susceptible sheet metal.
With or without a floor covering that most Broncos came with.
I'd much rather have the benefit of a cooler and quieter driving experience and have to hassle with uncovering the floor now and then if needed. Same thing I do now, and have done for over forty years, with matting, insulation and full carpet with jute backing.
So far, so good.

I hear you on your concerns. And again, the logic is sound and I'm glad you brought it up.
I'd just rather put up with the extra hassle and get to take full advantage of whatever I can do to make the inside of the cab more better to be in.

Paul

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
My inner door skin were coated with a bituminous product early in its life. Still outstanding.

But everywhere else my eb has zero insulation.
Once my passenger floor pan gets completed I am really looking forward to insulating the hell out of the floor of my eb. My wife and daughter call the eb "the easy-bake oven" during the summer months, lol.

I intend to do like Paul and insulate some on the outside and a lot on the inside. I want to use some thing like Lizrad Skin and one of the roll-out layered products Paul sells at WH. These damn eb's are so freaking hot inside this time of year.
I am getting really close to this semi-final portion of my build. I have been watching insulation discussion threads here on eb for a year or so. Many many great ideas. Everybody please keep talking about it. I am taking notes, lol.

Steve in hot ass Florida

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I forgot to tell I also insulated my doors on the inside.
I thought of it this morning as I had coffee with my Running Buddy.
i Was bringing him up to date on this thread .. He hasn't added AC YET IN HIS BRONCO. But he plans to. He's so busy with all his civic duties. I try to read all these kinds of threads & pass on all the info I trust in them.
ANY WAYS I loaded the insides of my doors with 3M undercoating .. This helped with the doors not sounding like a tin can when they shut. & No Dust coming in thru them.
.... His 66 Bronco now has a 1987 Lincoln H/O 5.0 & hE SAID IT STILL has the 87 AC compressor in place. He said He saw no reason to not leave all that in place when he had that motor rebuilt & installed.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Well....I'm interested in how the different installs work out...i have the floors from the seats forwarded well insulated and heavily modified a 1/2 cab top a few years back...traul doors from March thru mid Nov each year...I'm hoping for a cool stream of air on my passengers face and legs... if she's comfortable wheeling on a hot day-- I'm a happy guy!

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I can report back that this is absolutely worth doing!! It's makes a huge difference having this A/C blowing on you driving around town. This is with no top (Bikini Top only) and doors on. I am very impressed with amount of air that this system puts out. It blows more air than my brand new Explorer does! The air is very cold and makes a huge difference on a hot day. (it's over 100 degrees here all Summer long) Anyway, IMO this is a great upgrade for anyone in a hot climate.

Attachments

• Rad Hose.jpg
    Rad Hose.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Hoses.jpg
    Hoses.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Glove Box.jpg
    Glove Box.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Dash2.jpg
    Dash2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Finished2.jpg
    Finished2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 116

CraigS

Pa PITT, you should be able to get brackets you need from a 6BT to mount any accessories and compressor.

BRONCO635

I’m running the ‘95 mustang front dress serp belt. Has anyone tried mounting the compressor down in that location? I don’t have one to try it myself. But I left the ears on the bracket for it just in case. I seems a little tight down there by the steering shaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vintage air tec

Loc.
San Antonio
Now for MY BRONCO .. YES I'VE DROOLED over an AC unit in mine for 5+ years. But the stories above are what's kept me from finding the CASH..
MY THOUGHTS...
Mine is a half cab. 2/3 easier to cool ...
PUT in lots of insulation .. I've got that... I've filled all the cracks with Spray Bed liner & Then most everything also has Spray undercoating over it. Every hole in the fire wall I've sprayed covered. I've added insulation under the CARPET ... Carpet really helps on noise & dust & air getting in to keep AC FROM WORKING .
...Half Cab I've added insulation Up behind the seats to the middle of my back. & My Carpet goes up to where the Top attaches .. & I've added about 1/2 inch of that Bubble Insulation In the top of my Half cab.. It is stuck in place with Spray Glue 1st Then I found about 15 Extra Strong Magnets & they hold the insulation in place.
I also attach tools to those magnets . . Pliers.. screwdrivers... wrench sets .. a Saw..
Nothing has ever fallen from the roof. Did I SAY THOSE are strong magnets .
.... Now after all I've done to prepare for AC .. I still can't pull the trigger on a unit .
Too much money for it not to work.
... & My Bronco has a 4 SPEED SHIFTER IN THE WAY. So I can't add an under dash unit to mine.
... I need the section of the heater box. & Dash Vents .. I think I can Improvise the condenser .. DRYER no issue for me. I can make the hoses at my work.
... Dash Switches panels .......... But what I'm thinking I'M Handing myself a lot of engineering to do & I'm not sure If I wan't a project that I have to design for 2 summers.
..... But I jus rather buy one . & it work.

https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/751151.pdf
this will give you an idea as to what is involved with the install of a Vintage Air unit in a 66-77 Bronco (4 vent)

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have to be a 2nd on the AC is a great addition. I have the VA Gen4. It is a plus with a bikini top and doors on in the hot summer. As described it is a lot of work. I bought a kit less compressor on ebay ($1,200). I them bought a serp compressor ($200)and serp kit from BC. All of this was a lot of work. But worth it to me. Blows with force and blows cold. Heat works great too. I admit you do lose the fresh air venting on pass side. But oh well. I have the refrig items to charge and also bought the hose crimping tools (in case a local AZ guy needs help). Wanted to do this for 10 years, finally did. A+ mod.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...this will give you an idea as to what is involved with the install of a Vintage Air unit in a 66-77 Bronco

Thanks for that V/A Tec. And thanks for joining up too!
Be happy to have your help, advice and comments on current and future installations.

Paul