• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vintage/Old School Tires

KS.76Sport

Loc.
Wichita, KS.
My Dad always ran Armstrong Tru Tracs on his Bronco's back in the 70s and has since swore they were the best off road tires ever made. Ever since I got my Bronco my intention is for it to be a slightly modified stocker, right down the old school Armstrong tires. Alas Armstrong was bought out by Pirelli who in turn disbanded the off road tire section of the company. ?:?
Those of us that love that O'l Skool look are always searching for modern versions/copies of the old off road tires like Armstrong Tru Trac, Firestone Town and Country, Co-op Grip Spurs and others. However finding such a thing is not that easy without hours of internet browsing and even then you still come up empty some times.

I was reading a thread by Old School about his new tires and it got allot of interest concerning old off road tires and where to get them. So I decided to start this thread specifically for very often hard to find Old School tire information. Anyone that has knowledge of where to find the O'l Skool looking tires can post it up. This way when someone is looking for new shoes for their stocker they can just look here.

Please provide a link or where the tires can be purchased.

And show us some pics if you have some old school tires on your truck. :cool:

Here is a couple submissions to start us off.

SUPER TRAXION LT 78 TUBELESS (US MADE)
L78-15LT
WIDTH DIA RIM
9.00 30.00 6.50

http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/super-traxion.html

Thanks to Surfer-b who provided a link to tires that look just like the old Tru Tracs that I have been looking for:

Power King
Super Traction II 7.00 -15 8PR

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....gorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=135

Attachments

• PK-Sup-Traction-LT[1].jpg
    PK-Sup-Traction-LT[1].jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

knack

Contributor
I'd agree with your dad. Tru Tracs were the best - in 1975.

Just about everybody I wheeled with back then used them, because there wasn't much else around. Totally different story today.

I haven't heard of any availability of those tires in a long time. Interco might still offer the old Buckshot Mudders. Those were around in the late 70's.

These folks offer a few old styles: https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/truck.html

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Buckshot Mudders are still one of the preferred tires at the local Line Mountain off road race.

My dad just got a set of the 16" SUPER TRAXION'S like in fig. C of the first link in the OP. They are for the U14 we are restoring with a service truck theme.

I just got a pair of used vintage Formula Desert Dogs for a historic restoration, looking for two more to match, but I have since found that I really need the Formula Desert Dog PCV (pickup camper and van) pattern.

trtlsoup22

Co-op grip spurs are not being made at the moment and are pretty much impossible to locate any inventory.. Gateway buckshots are limited.. It doesn't look good for the old school tires... I currently run 9.00x16 grip spurs on my rig.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Not that old school, but I miss the old BFG mud terrain... I ran them on my tow rig in 35s until they quit making them. I ran the last set to about 55k!

1591.jpg

brewchief

Buckshot Mudders are still one of the preferred tires at the local Line Mountain off road race.

My dad just got a set of the 16" SUPER TRAXION'S like in fig. C of the first link in the OP. They are for the U14 we are restoring with a service truck theme.

I just got a pair of used vintage Formula Desert Dogs for a historic restoration, looking for two more to match, but I have since found that I really need the Formula Desert Dog PCV (pickup camper and van) pattern.

What size Desert Dogs?
I've got one 10-15 if it helps you any.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 96

Broncitis

MEB Founder
What size Desert Dogs?
I've got one 10-15 if it helps you any.

Yep, that's the size. I got the last two out of MI as well! Found them on craigslist and had Will Carpenter from WARN pick them up and bring them down to the MEB Roundup last month.

There are two in south central Ohio on the KY border, but I have not found anyone who can pick them up yet (seller did not seem interested in shipping "old tires"). I could use a 5th anyway since I have a set of 5 slots out with Mke at www.polishmywheels.com now getting shined up.

Send me a PM with the price to ship to 17315.

Thanks,
Drew

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If anyone is interested the CO-OP here did have a brand new set of 4 9:00x16 grip spurs in stock and he gave me a real good price, I don't remember, I think it was around $160/tire which he had them listed for $235/tire. I passed it on to another member here who was looking but decided to go with a diff tire. I can check and see if they still have them if anyone is interested.
Good luck finding a set of Gateway Buckshots I still run mine in the winter and would like to buy a new set p78x15's but I have had no luck, was told they are suppose to start making them again but who knows.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
What about Coaker Tire do they sell any retro off road tires? I know they carry alot of old military tires.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What about Coaker Tire do they sell any retro off road tires? I know they carry alot of old military tires.

I checked with them on a set of Firestone Town & Country, the person I talked to said they didn't have what I was looking for, I should drive down there its only about 30min from my house.

Roadburner

If I remember correctly Armstrong Tru Tracs were the first tire advertised as a flotation tire, meaning you could lower tire pressure according to driving conditions. It had a slightly rounded tread. At the same time they made the Rhino, same tread only flatter tread and heavier belts. It was replaced with the MET (miracle extra traction). Armstrong were great tires and lasted forever. I ran them all back in the day.

knack

Contributor
If I remember correctly Armstrong Tru Tracs were the first tire advertised as a flotation tire, meaning you could lower tire pressure according to driving conditions. It had a slightly rounded tread. At the same time they made the Rhino, same tread only flatter tread and heavier belts. It was replaced with the MET (miracle extra traction). Armstrong were great tires and lasted forever. I ran them all back in the day.

Here's a picture of my first Bronco with TruTracs on 10" rims. Definitely had the rounded profile then. Worked pretty well in the northern MN swamps.

Attachments

• Hafner010.jpg
    Hafner010.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 213

brewchief

I sold a set of these firestones last year, they would have been cool for a resto rig but had major cracking and dry rot.

Attachments

• DSCF0352.jpg
    DSCF0352.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0353s.JPG
    DSCF0353s.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
KS.76Sport

KS.76Sport

Loc.
Wichita, KS.
Got my 30in pizza cutters in today ;D. (Power King Super Traction IIs, 7.00 15 8PR) Now just to got to get the rest of the truck to match. :p

Attachments

• trs1.jpg
    trs1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 303
  • trs2.jpg
    trs2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 308

Atom0023

Loc.
Los Angeles
Got my 30in pizza cutters in today ;D. (Power King Super Traction IIs, 7.00 15 8PR) Now just to got to get the rest of the truck to match. :p

I love it. They look awesome. You inspired me to go back to the stock look as well. Mine is cut but I think it will still look cool. I can always switch back :) I love new tires.