• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vinyl paint removal

TXDraht

I was discussing interior with the PO of my Bronco this morning and he informed that his father painted the backseat. I was surprised to learn you could paint car interior.

What’s the best method/product to remove the paint? I’d like to bring back the original parchment color.

Thanks in advance - Sean

Attachments

• 3B940DA2-A18E-4028-AED5-FEEBFF31B55C.jpeg
    3B940DA2-A18E-4028-AED5-FEEBFF31B55C.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 57

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can use vinyl paint and it holds up pretty well. I did black on my rear seat.
You will spend hours getting that off better to get it recovered or get parchment vinyl paint and spray over that. Since it’s red you will never get all of that off and all scrubbing will probably wreck the seat

AC932

Contributor
+1 on just repainting it the right color. I redid a T-Bird interior with the stuff, it works fantastic and doesn't bleed out.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yea bro it would be so much work. Clean it real good and respray it last a long time

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Vinyl paint seeps into the pores in the vinyl to make it look like it originally came that color. I have no idea how well a second coat will soak in to change the color back. Probably worth a shot for the cost of a can or two of paint before going to the extent of reupholstering.

pbwcr

I use Acetone. Some light color might remain depending on the previous brand of paint.
Anyway using a new paint will not prevent the next color from being acceptable.
PaulW
======= =

I was discussing interior with the PO of my Bronco this morning and he informed that his father painted the backseat. I was surprised to learn you could paint car interior.

What’s the best method/product to remove the paint? I’d like to bring back the original parchment color.

Thanks in advance - Sean

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I STARTED SELLING the Sems brand in about 1990& It's great ..
I Bought some Black made by Krylon & did my Sun Visors & arm rest both worked great .
But knock it until it does work for you .
In my store we had a seat that had gone through a fire & we cleaned it & painted that seat . & It seemed to us that 50% of the customers that came into my store set down in the seat . It never faded or pealed . Best advertisement I ever had .

OP
OP
TXDraht

TXDraht

Appreciate all the feedback on painting the vinyl. Covering up the red was definitely the route to go. Time will tell as to how well it holds up. Making a little progress over the weekend while I wait for steering column and door parts to arrive.

Paint used: SEM Color Coat #15823 Lt.Parchment

Attachments

• pearow_interior9.jpg
    pearow_interior9.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 19
  • pearow_interior12.jpg
    pearow_interior12.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 20
  • pearow_interior4.jpg
    pearow_interior4.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 19
  • pearow_interior3.jpg