• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Voltage Gauge question

vtboy51

I just installed a voltage gauge in place of my old amp gauge (new alternator) and it only reads 12 volts, although with a meter I'm getting 14.5v to the ignition post I connected it to. Is this normal for these gauges to read low?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unfortunately, it's not unusual for anything to read low or high these days.
But before re-orienting your brain to think of 12v as 14v (does it go down when you turn the engine off?) you might lower your viewing angle to see if it reads more closely to the 14 mark than when you're sitting up in the seat at full height.
Might just be the angle of the danglia.

I could be way off, if the scale goes the other way, it might read even lower when you get down on a level with the gauge. But the angle of the view was the first thing I thought of.

paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I just installed a voltage gauge in place of my old amp gauge (new alternator) and it only reads 12 volts, although with a meter I'm getting 14.5v to the ignition post I connected it to. Is this normal for these gauges to read low?
You may have the gauge attached to a really poor ground. Hook your meter ground to the same spot and see if it's reading low also.

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

I just confirmed I have 14.5v at the studs on the gauge and it does read 12v when looking at it straight on. It just appears to be a poor quality gauge, thanks for the feedback though.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder if they can be adjusted. Like the stock and many aftermarket IVR units can?

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
My guess is cheap gauge. Probably can’t be easily adjusted either. Honestly though reading 12V or 14V really doesn’t matter. It’s really only once it drops down to about 10 or 11V that you need to pay attention. see What the gauge reads when you have all your electrical loads on it and use that as your oh no point where you might want to start paying attention.