• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warn 9790 hubs

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
I'm considering replacing my OEM hubs with Warn 9790 standard manual hubs. I'm not rock crawling or anything like that, just an overhaul. What do you all think...?

Thank you

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
will work great, i had no problem using them

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why are you replacing the originals? Ultimately the originals are in fact "better" than the Warn models. Stronger at least, if not actually easier to use.
But the #9790 is my preferred model over and above the #20990 Deluxe version. I like the plastic knob's feel and the shorter throw. Just 1/4-ish turn vs 3/4-ish turn for the Deluxe model.

Personally again though, while I even like the look of the Warn model, I still prefer the stock look and function. There's just something about "original" in the case of parts that most have tossed out over the years.
Yours still in good shape and just wanting something different? If so, don't toss the old ones! I'll take 'em!

Paul

Last edited:

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm considering replacing my OEM hubs with Warn 9790 standard manual hubs. I'm not rock crawling or anything like that, just an overhaul. What do you all think...?

Thank you

I think that there is no stronger or more reliable locking hub than the Spicer hub that your Bronco came with from the factory.

I'm not saying that the Warn hub is bad...but I don't see where it's "better." The Spicer hub uses a steel shift collar and a steel drive spline. Properly serviced, they have lasted for over 50 years.

That particular Warn Hub is a low cost design that has been adopted by the OEM's as a cost savings. There are probably a million of them in service.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Why are you replacing the originals? Ultimately the originals are in fact "better" than the Warn models. Stronger at least, if not actually easier to use.

that's for sure...

OP
OP
gmduncan

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
I think that there is no stronger or more reliable locking hub than the Spicer hub that your Bronco came with from the factory.

I'm not saying that the Warn hub is bad...but I don't see where it's "better." The Spicer hub uses a steel shift collar and a steel drive spline. Properly serviced, they have lasted for over 50 years.

That particular Warn Hub is a low cost design that has been adopted by the OEM's as a cost savings. There are probably a million of them in service.
I have no good reason. Maybe I just get new snap rings, O-Rings and call it a day. The teeth on the axle shaft gears are not worn and when I took them apart to clean, I did not see any metal shavings.

Thank you,
George