• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welded Tie-Rod Ends and Sleeves. HELP!

msweb

Bronco Guru
I need to replace a tie rod end but it's welded on along with the sleeve... Looks like the PO upgraded to a 78-79 F150 set-up including the steering box which is now mounted on the inside of the frame. It looks like the pitman arm was too long because it's been cut and welded back together. An accident waiting to happen.

What do you suggest? Switch everything back over to stock? Money is a HUGE factor as I don't have any!

Ideas?

Attachments

• Susp. Front End.JPG
    Susp. Front End.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 62

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I can't really see the issue through the pic..... but!!! I would never mess with questionable steering. I understand the lack of money thing, but I would recommend all new steering. I just installed the BC heimn steering kit and think it looks really cool (I haven't driven with it yet :'( ). You might be able to scrounge up a few parts to put your steering back together for the time being.... I have a good draglink from a '72 (tierod is pretzeled), it's yours if you want it (if it's not already spoken for)

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
dude, that's just scary! i wish you were close, i have a set of tie rods i just pulled off someone's truck i'd GIVE you.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
73stallion said:
dude, that's just scary! i wish you were close, i have a set of tie rods i just pulled off someone's truck i'd GIVE you.
Might be worth the shipping cost... Free is a good price.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Looks like an inverted-Y linkage set-up with an F-150 2X4 box.

If you got 76-77 knuckles that would mean that you need a custom linkage built to your specs.
I would get the centerline measurements TRE to TRE at the knuckles and TRE pass. side to TRE pitman arm and order a set from chuck @ BCBronco's or other vendors closer to you.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Madgyver said:
Looks like an inverted-Y linkage set-up with an F-150 2X4 box.

If you got 76-77 knuckles that would mean that you need a custom linkage built to your specs.
I would get the centerline measurements TRE to TRE at the knuckles and TRE pass. side to TRE pitman arm and order a set from chuck @ BCBronco's or other vendors closer to you.
Not interchangeable? Bummer.

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
I like the sounds of the stone crusher kit but it's not in the cards right now. I'd like to take y'all up on your offers but if Madgyver's right, I'm SOL.

Would I be able to go with a heim set-up from TRE to TRE? Would it be a matter of a bar cut to length? (probably what you're talking about??)

My steering box leaks and I'd considered going back to a stock set-up but not if I have to change the knuckles. How can I tell what year they're from?

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
You can do a heim setup yourself, but in reality it will be the same as buying one prefab'd. You get higher quality joints with the prefab'd units and a warranty (of some kind)

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
broncow72 said:
You can do a heim setup yourself, but in reality it will be the same as buying one prefab'd. You get higher quality joints with the prefab'd units and a warranty (of some kind)

How flexible are they in regard to measurements (thinking along the lines of odd ball knuckle spacing)?

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Are we talking about this - Chuck's kit? Add the box and drop pitman arm and it get's pricey. Ouch. Maybe we need to start another OBB project.... :'(

Attachments

• BC Heim Steering Kit.jpg
    BC Heim Steering Kit.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 13

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
If this is what your knuckle look like, it's the 76-77 type, the centerline of TRE to TRE is longer than the earlier model and this came stock with the inverted-Y set-up which get messed up after a suspension lift. It usually gets changed out for a custom straight linkage type that has less bump steer.

The last picture is a dana 30. It has the same distance between TREs as the earlier dana 44. Notice the distance of the TRE from the wheel. The 76-77 knuckles has the TREs farther apart. center to center measurements.

Attachments

• DSC01194.JPG
    DSC01194.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01195.JPG
    DSC01195.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01196.JPG
    DSC01196.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 14