• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

welded windshield frame

bradj1964

I know its probably been done, and asked before, but how many guys have welded their windshield frame to their bronco before? Ill never fold my windshield down, so my body shop just recommended we weld it in instead of using another hinge, any pros or cons on this, he already welded it in so I guess its kinda late to ask this question, he says itll work,thanks for any responses!!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Do you have a dash pad on it? or plan on putting one on you have to fold down the windshield to get to the bolts. kind of late now;D

gtown68

Loc.
Georgetown, Texas
Some Do/Some Don't

Do you have a dash pad on it? or plan on putting one on you have to fold down the windshield to get to the bolts. kind of late now;D

Some like the dash pad; others don't. If you don't have one now, you won't have one any time soon. If you do have one now, I hope it's in good shape and last a long, long time. The mounting screws are under the windshield hinge.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Fix it right. Don't half ass it. And find another body shop. What else are they going to talk you into.%) %) %)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would never weld the windshield frame to the body. Just like I would never weld the fender on either. While mine isn’t welded on it isn’t hooked up at the hinge either. Mine is set up as a bolt on. 2 bolts that normally hold it at the bottom and 2 more sets of heims hold it at the top. And yes, I do remove it once every 5 years or so for one reason or another (fishing wires for wiper motors, etc.)

OP
OP
bradj1964

bradj1964

Fix it right. Don't half ass it. And find another body shop. What else are they going to talk you into.%) %) %)

Ive been through 2 bodymen in the last 5 years and 2 months since I purchased this bronco,it is just now a complete body tub,I think if I had to haul this truck and the heavy matkins frame again to another shop and deal with someone else id pull my hair out!!LOL

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Like the others have said, you either have a dash pad on there now or never, though I am sure you could make something look ok if push came to shove but i would not weld mine, but that is me.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
welded windshield

I plan to weld mine.

I have some cancer under there and It is not a structural problem, and I really don't want to spend all that time fixing it ti still have a hinge that rusts and the paint will chip. I will never have a dash pad, I will never fold down the windshield, I do not like the was every hinge looks after a few years. There is no way to clean them and they rust.

If you like it welded then great, it will probbaly less trouble and look better in the long run.

If he did it without tellingyou or you didn't understand why you might not want it that way then make him fix it, but just because he did it doesn't make him a bad guy, it might have been a lot cheaper for you anyway.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
There were two boncos at the 40th in calisle who welded the widshied.

Myself I wouldn't do it, but when done right it did look clean.

I have allyas though it would be cool to remove the stock windshield, and weld a cage in , with a properlly made window frame, and glass from a jeep. Since they alleardy have rounded corners, no other reason that that, and they are close to the same size.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
A little late now, but a stainless hinge solves the rusting hinge problem... I considered attaching my frame more permanently but decided to cough up the cash for a stainless piano hinge that I will never paint.

croft75

My buddies is welded , he bought it not caring now its driving him crazy. So much so he picked up a new frame and hinge at JBG open house this year.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
removable windshield

There were two boncos at the 40th in calisle who welded the widshied.

Myself I wouldn't do it, but when done right it did look clean.

I have allyas though it would be cool to remove the stock windshield, and weld a cage in , with a properlly made window frame, and glass from a jeep. Since they alleardy have rounded corners, no other reason that that, and they are close to the same size.

I looked long and hard at my cj5 before I sold it. I was seriously thinking about just that. I never let the jeep winshiel down for a lot of reasons but I did take it off alot and set it aside.

It could be done but it would take a lot of work to make it work with hardtop, softtop, and stock doors and window frames.

If you didn't care about that it would be pretty easy.

It would be really cool though witht he nice external windshield wipers mouinted down low.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
If it is a beater/hunting rig, by all means weld it. If you are restoring it, don't do it. You will regret it at some point. What a pain it would be to reverse it. More effort than to just do it right the first time.

Fix it right or don't do it at all. Just my $.02.