• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welder purchase

BrianTMartin

Loc.
Surfside Beach
Was reading a previous post about replacing metal behind a driver's seat and alot of suggestions were made for purchasing a welder. I myself will be a newbie to welding but really want to start. Have a 6 point cage on order and want to do to the install. Suggestions for what would be required? Am good with grinder and finishing off smooth joints, just do not know where to start.

Have a few places under hood on front quarter panels that would be ideal once I learned. Thanks for any and all input as usual.

Brian

dustybronco

welding

remember your life is on the line. maybe wait until you get enough experience under your belt. take your stuff to a local welder. tell him your situation maybe he will let you help and teach you a couple things.

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
I have a hobart 135 handler and its only 115 volt but I'm more than happy with the way it welds (now that I have it working correctly).....i use 25/75 % mixed gas as a sheilding gas, Co2/argon and I can tell you this combo on the gas works best for me. The only real difference in the hobart and miller is you have 4 heat settings on the hobart and infinity on the miller of the same size. The reason I chose the 115 volt model over the 220 was number one I wanted to be able to move it or take it with me at will. number two price over the 220 rig. I'm sure the 220 rig is better in that maybe it will weld thicker metal, but mine does just what I want it to do.
now on to the cage install. If its for show or if its for actual roll over protection, I'd at least practice,practice practice! make a root pass and or get a good pipe welder to either inspect what kinda job you do on some scrap or get the pipe welder to weld it for you. I personally like the TIG welding on the roll cage better. I had a pipe welder (TIG) do my cage in my mustang once .......8 point cage and all he charged was $50 (and that was after he welded all day inside a hot car in July)
good luck and if you have more questions ask , we'll be glad to try and help!
Ben ;)

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I don't see if anything dangerous about welding other than to make sure you aren't kneeling in a puddle of standing water when you light it up. There are precautions you must take, but buy a book. That's how I pretty much learn all my stuff. I did an article in the last issue of BD Mag on choosing a welder and the different types of welders. I am working on a follow up article right now, but it isn't done yet. The only way to learn is practice, which was already mentioned. Choose a welder, buy some scrap, read a book and then practice, practice practice. it isn't all that hard, especially wire feed welding.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Bronco Ben said:
I think he dusty was talking about if you rolled a bronco with some bad welds it could be fatal! ;)

got it. either way, practice makes perfect. I would make sure I could make a sound weld before I took on a project like a cage though.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
I have the Lincoln 135. It is 115 volt also. I welded a whole new steel body together on my Bronco with it. I recommend it. I couldnt tell you about the others. I also use the 75/25 shielding gas. I didnt know how to weld a lick when i started. You have to start somewhere.

chromeyellow

Loc.
Lecompte, Louisiana
Does Anyone Have The Lincoln 175-plus? I Want To Get One But I Want To Make Sure That The $52.00 Adapter And A Tank Of Argon Will Let You Weld Aluminum. Does This Sound Right?

X68BroncoX

Loc.
Amherst MA
Miller works great

I just bought the miller 135 that works on 110v. It works great, and was real easy to set up and use. I learned to mig weld on a 220v version and the only difference I've felt is the time you can weld at one time. My little MIller needs to cool down every once and a while, and has been perfect for doing body work and replacing panels on my '68. It has done everything I've needed it to. Don't be intimidated by Mig welding, anybody can do it. Read a little and you'll be good to go. Just wear the right safety equipment and be safe. remember.. :) Have fun

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
chromeyellow said:
Does Anyone Have The Lincoln 175-plus? I Want To Get One But I Want To Make Sure That The $52.00 Adapter And A Tank Of Argon Will Let You Weld Aluminum. Does This Sound Right?

I have the Lincoln 175-Plus and it came with a 5lb spool of Aluminum wire. I have not used it yet so I can not speek on that yet, but I am guessing that you just have to add the gas.

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
I have a Lincoln 175. I don't do aluminum but I know you can buy the adapter for welding aluminum. I also heard you might be better off getting a new gun and housing due to the fact that aluminum needs to be very clean to weld and using regular wire will leave some contaminates like oil in the gun/housing and will not make a good weld.

Oh, and mine is a 220volt. I would go 220v. Better to get something alittle bigger and not have to upgrade later. I have done sheetmetal and frame work with it and I like it alot!

jong0124

I also have the lincoln 175 115 volt. I have done frame work and sheet metal work with it. The 220 is the better but if you dont want to spend the extra bucks the 115 will do fine for what ever you need it for. I would have a local welder do your cage for you or at least wait till you are good at it.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I've had a 110 welder for the past 10yrs. Its a great welder for body work and sheet metal. I even built up several sets of subframe connectors for 5.0's. The thicker metal just took a lot more prep work by beveling the joints and then making several progressive passes. I just upgraded and trade my little machine for a 250A 220v machine. ;)

BTW...Brian you are welcome to come on down and use my machine if you'd like. Are you putting the cage in your '66?

4x4DRIVER

Loc.
north carolina
I'm looking to buy a welder also. I've had my eye on the lincoln 175 and the hobart handler 180. both are 220v. The descriptions of performance of the hobart that i have seen vary. Some say it will weld 5/16" and another one says 1/4". Has anyone had any experience with it? The hobart is also about 50 bucks cheaper. I'm in the process of building my garage which I'm going to put a lift in so thats taking a large put of my money. would I be better off trying to save a little or get the lincoln now and not have to worry about upgrading latter. thanks.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I guess I have the smallest welder of all and I'm still happy with it. Mine is only a 110 but it welds pretty damn good. AWESOME for sheetmetal AND tubing. I may even try it on a bumper building project, I have that much faith in it. I did a cage in a Mustang ( 1 3/4 X .120 wall ) and it passed NHRA chassis certification with flying colors. Chassis certification is for cars running 9 seconds or faster ( 140mph + ) so they go over it pretty well. I am going to upgrade to a bigger welder in the future but for now this fits my needs just perfect. I realy like the fact that I can use it out in the yard on a extension cord without any problems if I need to. Shoot, I can pull it over my neighbors fence and weld his swing set without problems. I'll never get rid of this welder even after I buy something bigger.

I don't use 75-25 in my welder. I use tri-mix with the 2% oxygen mixed in and that may be why it welds thicker stuff so well. The little bit of oxygen is like a turbocharger I guess. :)

Don't laugh , but this is it ;D http://www.mile-x.com/WeldingTorches/APM1G11.htm

Attachments

• WELDER.jpg
    WELDER.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 5

Smarty6

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hobart 180

I just bought the hobart. Acklands grainger is having a sale which nobody else in this area can beat. when you're checking prices against the lincoln, make sure you're getting the same accesories. the hobart comes with flux core wire and a complete gas set up. Some lincoln units, you have to buy the kits.

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
I've got a Millermatic 250 (MIG) and a Dynasty 200DX (TIG/Stick) so I have a preference towards blue. Whatever you do, just buy a well respected name, Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, ESAB, etc.. I know a few friends who cheaped out and bought off-shore junk welders and had nothing but trouble. If you've got the $$ you won't regret a 220V welder.

As far as learning goes, weld something together and try to break it apart, thats a good start. Practice welding tubing and then tear it apart to ensure you're getting full penetration. You don't want any cold lap joints on a roll cage! ;D If you can spare the cash, an auto-darkening helmet makes a huge difference for a beginner. One final suggestion; check out your local trade school. Most offer part time night courses in MIG, TIG etc. which allow you to weld away with an expert looking over your shoulder. This speeds up the learning curve in a big way. ;)

Good luck.

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
definitely get gas welder.

i know those flux core (only) welders are cheap but at least get one that does MIG (with gas). if ya got that cash, get a TIG. think about what you think you might want to weld (thickness) and get the one you need from there. be wary though, b/c those cheaper wire feed MIG/Fluxcore welders advertise that they weld up to a certain thickness, but that pertains to the flux core, which is far inferior to MIG.

and i can tell you as a fairly new welder, practice, practice, pratic.