• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding question

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Just hooked my new miller 210 and was wondering what I should have the gas setting at. I am running argon mix. I have never welded with gas, but have done quite a bit with flux core wire. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

matt

ransil

Bronco Guru
Mine is usually around 15, I think I guessed.
I have no idea what the right answer is or how is is determined.

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
matt69 said:
Just hooked my new miller 210 and was wondering what I should have the gas setting at. I am running argon mix. I have never welded with gas, but have done quite a bit with flux core wire. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

matt

dont know what regulator you have but 20-25CFM is a good place to start. run it as low as possible without getting the "bubbily porus weld crap" otherwise its just waste

OP
OP
M

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Okay, my welds looked a little off and I had it at about 35, so I will lower it and see what happens.

matt

dbridgs

If you are welding in the garage and the air is still, 15 is just about right for the 210, I would not go up past 20. excess gas flow can actually adversley affect the puddle.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
dbridgs said:
If you are welding in the garage and the air is still, 15 is just about right for the 210, I would not go up past 20. excess gas flow can actually adversley affect the puddle.

true that....
using excess gas, you are just wasting it. use enought to ge the job done. there is no benefit to excess.

Solar Aviator

NicksTrix said:
true that....
using excess gas, you are just wasting it. use enought to ge the job done. there is no benefit to excess.

Too much gas flow actually causes turbulance that can introduce air (oxygen) into the weld. "Counter intuitive"

scottmcwms

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
Yes, you just want to mask the area with the mix. You don't want the gas to rush across the surface. Each time you weld you will need different flows. Just use your judgement on how well the gas is masking your weld.

Scott

danny

well the easiest way is just open the machine hood and look at the chart.that has always worked for me. the only time i ever adjust the psi is if i have to weld in the wind( not recomended), turn it up to make it over power the wind.

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
between 15 and 20 i run about 15 or 16 always works fine, and weld on a table not the garage floor, there is always a low draft along the floors that will disrupt the weld and cause bubbles

OP
OP
M

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Never thought about welding on the floor and a draft, but that does make sense. thanks for all the help guys.

matt