• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding roll cage with flux core or MIG?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
True...but if you want to add a third process into the mix for maximum penetration, then you can dual-shield it with a flux-core wire plus cover gas. .

I've worked in a career with lots of welding, and never heard of such a thing as dual shield. I'm suspicious about it. Do you have anything to support a recommendation like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude 713

As far as dual shield, I have never done it but have had several certified welders tell me it is the way to go for maximum penetration. If you have never heard of it google it there are some interesting YouTube videos on it.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Either way, learning to weld on a roll cage is not a good idea, buy beer and pizza and invite a friend to weld it.

Ha....i had a buddy weld my cage up and it cost me 2grand! Of course i had 10 weld through bungs and the front half was stainless, add in a few taco gussests and he had a shit ton of time into TIG welding it all up.

And all this talk about penitration......lets not forget the buildup. I can always get a shit ton pf penitration....thats simple....its getting enuf filler rod in there to make the welds look like they grew there.

PaveBronco

Don't think its been mentioned yet, you may already know, but make sure everything on the Bronco is secure, body mounts good (sounds like yours are new bushings), tack the cage in place in the truck and I make 4 tacks each joint, helps minimize movement when you finish weld. easier to weld it up on you garage floor.
And like has been said...joint prep is key...lots of cool UTube cage welding videos..
good Luck

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Back when I was in the overhead crane industry, our fab shop welded dual shield exclusively.
Having a crane fall out of the sky is a bad thing.