• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Went to Sears today,,,Tool Questions

trekgurl

OK I have a 6" makita grinder,, ( definately have to use both hands) but I sorta want smaller one. 4 1/2,, for cutting body panels etc,,

All the small grinders this size the makita seems to be the best fit (smallest)? about $59. 11000 rpms,,comes with 4 grinding wheels. I want to get some cut off wheels to use?

I also looked at Air tools and I don't think my compressor will run many of the air tools without having to sell the one I have and get one that will run air tools sufficiently. The CFM / PSI stuff is not clear and the sales people don;t seem to be that well versed either. I know you need a certain amount of airflow/ sustained power to run tools.

What about these "all in one" grinder tools (Sears) kinda like a Dremel. Would they cut through body panels?

Any thoughts?

Anna

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
4.5 in grinder and lots of cutoff wheels from HF as they are the cheapest especially when on sale.The Dremmel tools are for small work and would burn up with repeted use on the body.You need a BIG compressor to run body tools and the more CFM the better.My IR 60 gallon 220V compressor is 13cfm @90 PSI but was 500.00 on sale at TS last year.The oilless ones will not keep up with the CFM's required by Body tools and Will piss you off waiting for them to come back up to pressure.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
X2 on the 4.5" grinder. That is probably the most used tool that I own. I prefer the DeWalt cutoff wheels - they seem to last the longest for me. A bit more expensive, but worth it, IMO. I also use a Dremel quite a bit. Like the previous poster said - it is for smaller stuff, but I have also used it in places that my angle grinder won't fit, including some body panel stuff.

Last edited:

wdbowers

Loc.
Ada, Ok
check on the makita it may be only a 4" grinder and all disk or accerories will be metric not 5/8" thread, my makita is. mine is a push and lock switch and sometimes a paddle switch is more convienant. I bought a rebuilt ryobi from cummings tools and it is built like a 7" only smaller which is easy to handle.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
My wife bought me a dewalt 4 1/2" grinder. I've used it a ton. Also have a sears 6hp oilless compressor - x2 on 744x4's comments. It can spray good and run an air ratchet. It can't really keep up with a DA, but I've tried. Probably shortened its life considerably.

jwiegele

Loc.
Peachtree City, GA
I had a 4 1/2 Ryobi, it burned up in like a week! We bought a Dewalt 4 1/2 and it's been going strong for over 2 years, and it's used all the time. Dewalt makes great power tools, IMHO.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
My four and a half is a Milwaukee. Had it for more time than I want to remember. Great tool and I agree on the discs, the better quality just seem to really last longer.

My compressor is home made, two York A/C compressors hooked to an electric motor mounted on a small tank works great and is really quiet when working.

TOFIC

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
As crazy as it sounds (most of there stuff is crap IMO) I found in the middle of the road a Black & Decker Industrial 4 1/2 " grinder w/ the paddle style trigger. I found it about 7 years ago and it looked pretty well used up then! Anyways that thing has out performed all other's that I have bought, used, etc. I also have a Sears grinder I use as back up and it works pretty good. My advise is to go with a name brand, and what fit's your hand the best.

Shawn

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
A lot of the better black and decker is made by dewalt,we had a bunch of both at work and the replacement parts were all the same(I did all the tool repairs)

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I have had pretty good luck with the Sears craftsman grinders as well as the cheap Harbor Freight ones for $20.

Indybronco

Loc.
Twentynine Palms, CA
4" Makita

You don't want to use a Dremel to cut body panels. I cut off both rear quarter panels on my 78 Bronco using a 4" Makita angle grinder and Dewalt cutting discs. I also cut out the majority of the driver's side floor pan using the same tool. My angle grinder gets more use than even my drill and I am sold on Makita. I've used it hard for three years with no problems. Good luck.

Last edited:

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
4 1/2 is a great choice. I've got an old B&D that just won't quit. Most of the welders I know seem to like Makita but you can't go too far wrong with any major brand.

Most compressors are rated to deliver a certain volume of air (CFM) at 90 PSI. You simply look at the CFM spec. on the tool you want to run and determine what size compressor you need. A 5 HP single stage compressor will run pretty much everything you might need in a home shop.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have been using Harbor freight 4" grinders, get the 4.5" ones when on sale for $15-18 buy 3 of them one for cut off wheel, one for grinder wheel and one flap disk. If you have to drive far or get them shipped order a a spare. The have held up well for my projects, I also just burned up a $150 Matabo it was nice but I can buy 10 cheepies for that price.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p I use air most of the time but I do have a couple 4.5 grinders I but the ones that come with no name there about 8.00 at the tool sale's in a tent when they burn out just scrap and get a new one they even come with a spair set of brushes good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

cobra70

Loc.
Bryan, Tx
Just make sure that the arbor on the grinder is 5/8" that is the most common hole size for grinding wheels

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I have been using Harbor freight 4" grinders, get the 4.5" ones when on sale for $15-18 buy 3 of them one for cut off wheel, one for grinder wheel and one flap disk. If you have to drive far or get them shipped order a a spare. The have held up well for my projects, I also just burned up a $150 Matabo it was nice but I can buy 10 cheepies for that price.
I totally agree with ransil on this one. I typically buy name brand tools, but after my $100+ Dewalt 4.5" grinder died in 2-3 yrs I went to Harbor Freight and got 2 grinders for $18 each. I don't pretend that they'll last years and years, but when they die I'll just buy more and still be $$$ ahead of buying another name brand one. So far they've lasted a year and I've worked them harder then I ever worked my Dewalt.

And yes, it's really nice to have 1 set up with a cut off wheel and 1 with a flap disc. It's much faster to just grab the other grinder then to switch discs.

Mudman78

Loc.
Lyndhurst
I have a Craftsman 4" that's about 5 years old. It's held up fine and I was surprised to see "MAde in CHINA" on the side. I was at SEARS the other day looking around and all the grinders said "Made in CHINA" (Craftsman, Makita, Skill, DeWalt, Ryobi, Porter-Cable). All of them.................except one.

Millwaukee was still "MADE IN USA".

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Regarding air tools: unless you buy a big ass compressor don't even bother with air tools. The lack of /or quantity of air and the slow and frequent recovery time will just frustrate you. If your planned usage is just to work on the Bronco every-so-often just buy a decent electric power tool instead. Impact guns and speed ratchets being some-what an exception providing frequent use isnt required.

Bronco-on-rocks

Go with a bosh. I use them at work there 1 or 2 out of the best. Dont go with dewalt garbage milwaukee are pretty good to .But go with bosh I use them with diamond blades and cup blade to cut and patch concrete walls. I using them 10 minutes straight and they dont even get hot .