• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Were Broncos meant to be daily drivers?

Were broncos meant to be daily drivers?

• Yes

Votes: 100 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
If your/my daily commute consisted of a 5-10 miles round trip my opinion would probably differ. We're they intended as a DD in the era they were built? Of course. Have some folks managed to use them as DDs over the years? Absolutely. But overall by today's standards they just can't meet the reliability quota of modern vehicles. And it's not just broncos, I'm talkin every vehicle the same age. Even with upgrades, there's still some things that can't be easily changed to make them "maintenance free" like new cars are.

Jay, I'm going to night shift in two weeks, so hopefully sometime this summer...

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
My 76 ranger has 75k original miles and I will be going through it completely before considering driving it more than 5-10 miles in town. I believe they were meant to be daily drivers. I would like to have mine ready to use on short road trips of 3-4 hours soon.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I rebuilt mine during college due to an unfortunate T-bone accident. I attempted to use it as a DD after I graduated while working out in the woods. It was an awesome rig, but there were little things that needed attention that kept me from going to work too often. I ran into problems where the Bronco only parts had to be ordered in. Had it been a full size '78+ where more parts would have been interchangeable with the the F150, the shade-tree Saturday sessions would have been more tolerable. I ended up buying an F150 for work. The Bronco pretty much sat for the last 17 years as I tinker on it now. I'm hoping to use it for weekend goof-off time as I continue to run late model F150's for work. When the EB's were new, sure they would have been a fine DD, but fuel prices are higher now, and my time seems to be scarcer to work on it. I simply like the ease of jumping into a modern reliable vehicle for my daily grind.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
They can be D.D. mine has over 170,000 miles on it of which I've put about 110,000 at one time it was my only vehicle and I drove it everywhere.

The bronco I have now was a DD throu out the '80's n '90's and I went everywhere in it with that 2/80 AC....you know "roll both windows down and do 80mph....didn't think about being hot back then,just were the party was at...:(

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My dad commuted from Novato to San Francisco everyday in my old (originally his) bronco. He would carpool with some buddies as they worked for Otis elevator company. I can't image that drive, even back then.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not sure about "meant to be dd" , but here and now , today , the parts that are available to repair them seem to be inferior and would not / do not last long for daily drivers.
It seems to be a , once a part breaks , it'll break a lot from here on out , because the replacements suck.
I've even lost faith in NAPA parts. It doesn't help that the local Napa seems to be staffed by A-holes.
That is why I look more at "updating" stuff. I'm building a 347 right now , but I will probably start looking at newer "mod" motors for the next one. It's not that the old iron is junk , it is all of the technology surrounding them is getting out of date , IE sensors , electronics , etc.

Another thing I have been trying to do when replacing parts ( on any of my vehicles) is to research for NEW parts , usually from performance companies. Rebuilt stuff just doesn't work out to well on my daily drivers. The new stuff usually costs a bundle , but the convenience of not having down time , multiple times for the same item is worth it.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
YUP!!! and my other DD is a '65 El Camino... The term is "Preventative Maintenance"-- apply this and it will last. (don't be one of those people that Shouldn't own Wrenches):cool:

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I believe they were. My Grandfather's old '66 was titled or registered as a "family wagon". So yes, it seems they were intended to use on a regular basis.

I've considered building one to drive daily, myself. I would just hate to have a wreck and destroy it. It would be hard to deal with.

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
I believe they were. My Grandfather's old '66 was titled or registered as a "family wagon". So yes, it seems they were intended to use on a regular basis.

I've considered building one to drive daily, myself. I would just hate to have a wreck and destroy it. It would be hard to deal with.

It does suck! Mines a dd, mostly updated, recently destroyed by a f250.... But I'm in process of a full rebuild after acquiring a newer tub and frame....

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?sgiju0
1966,351,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 35's,

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Kinda hard to compare a 1970 vehicle to todays vehicles. Especailly when said vehicles are 30+ years old.
Even todays vehicles dont last long figure 100,000 mile warrentee thats still only like 5-6 years. warrentees mean little just mean that manufacturers have to offer it as all the small stuff of todays vehicles that can go wrong and competition with other makes dictate the need for longer warrentee. Warrentee has nothing to do with vehicle life. but of course they want you to buy a new vehicle.
Back in the 60/70s cars were still being made to last along comes the 80's and well they didnt seem to last as long.
As others have said for the most part its all in the maintenance my 73 has 325,000+ on it. The engine was rebuilt at 177K and other that mostly normal wear and tear replacement of parts like any other vehicle brakes clutch ect. its only lost one tranny swapped out the toasted C4 for a toploader then swapped again to a NP435 for better gearing. The only other major issue its had was when I blew up the rear axle. Really not bad for a almost 40 year old vehicle that has had a lot of use. My 73 was a DD until 2003 when I decided I needed AC and didnt want to install it on the bronco. I have no problem jumping in my bronco and driving it anywhere its as dependable as they come even after 30+ years.
Now on the flip side some of todays vehicles do last with maintenance as well. my dads 88 ranger 4x4 has 400K+ on it swapped out several radiators, clutches, ECM's, cylinder heads and did a rebearing and rering on the block and its still alive but probably on its last leg as its probably not really worth rebuiliding.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Sure they were! Just the standards of what we consider a comfortable DD have changed. I remember driving from California to Colorado with the family countless times in a green Chevy station wagon. That thing had vinyl seats and no A/C and that was just the way it was. 100 degrees out while blazing through the Nevada heat, so what? roll down the window. When I was younger, I drove my Bronco (With Hard Top on) through Vegas every summer in July and August and it was hot as hell. Were just spoiled now. I remember my dad had a routine before we would go on trips that involved about two weekends of going over the car to be sure it was all ready for the trip. Now, you just get in the car and go. I don't believe these rigs were any more or less reliable than any other vehicle of the time.

d.c.parris

Loc.
cumming ga.
i have been driving a bronco every day since 1972 i bought a new sport bronco' then in 77 i traded it in and got a 77 ranger that i still drive every day it has over 550.000. miles on it now. drove it to work 40 miles one way for 25 years. so yes they are very reliable daily drivers

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
i have been driving a bronco every day since 1972 i bought a new sport bronco' then in 77 i traded it in and got a 77 ranger that i still drive every day it has over 550.000. miles on it now. drove it to work 40 miles one way for 25 years. so yes they are very reliable daily drivers

Now that is awesome! Well done! ;)

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA

Can't argue with facts! Thanks for that, DC. :cool:

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Sure they were! Just the standards of what we consider a comfortable DD have changed. I remember driving from California to Colorado with the family countless times in a green Chevy station wagon. That thing had vinyl seats and no A/C and that was just the way it was. 100 degrees out while blazing through the Nevada heat, so what? roll down the window. When I was younger, I drove my Bronco (With Hard Top on) through Vegas every summer in July and August and it was hot as hell. Were just spoiled now. I remember my dad had a routine before we would go on trips that involved about two weekends of going over the car to be sure it was all ready for the trip. Now, you just get in the car and go. I don't believe these rigs were any more or less reliable than any other vehicle of the time.
I hear you on the hot CA/NEV desert. Drove mine out to the Colorado river from California many times in the late 70's early 80's. Best bet was to drive at night to beat some of the heat and always stuff an ice chest between the front seats that we would refill at Barstow. Good times with a very comfortable (in the day) daily driver!