• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH adjustible track bar

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I torqued the upper one at 110lbs, new grade 8 bolt & nut.The axle was tricky wanted to torque to 155lbs,but when I tried the hole for the carter key it was covered by the castle nut ear,didn't want to back off so went to 200lbs lined up perfectly .

Attachments

• track bar 2 002.jpg
    track bar 2 002.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 61
  • track bar 2 004.jpg
    track bar 2 004.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 66
  • track bar 2 007.jpg
    track bar 2 007.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 63
  • track bar 2 001.jpg
    track bar 2 001.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
torques

Here are some of the torques for the front suspension from ford factory oem shop manual for my 74.

Attachments

• torques 001.jpg
    torques 001.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 169

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
It looks to me that the adjustable track bar, the first bend on the fixed side starts shorter that the factory and the angle applied looks a little less. Just cfor curiosity sake, has anyone cut a factory track bar and weld on an adjustable heim and bung? Seems like a simple DIY kit could be in order...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think quite a few people have done, or at least tried that in the past. But I haven't seen any mention of someone doing it in the past few years.

And I don't think many companies with much to lose would offer a DIY kit that requires welding, or threading, by persons unknown, for something so critically important to the safe operation of a vehicle.
It's not actually a bad idea. It's just one that most companies, ours included I'm sure, wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.
In my opinion anyway...

Paul

VT_Don

Track bar is my design and fab. Is a 3/4" threaded, tie rod bar as used on oval track modifieds. Required adding a dog leg bend, welding on eyes, and machining a RH-LH threaded adjusting screw. Fits and functions perfectly throughout full range of suspension travel. Advantage being, does not have to be removed for adjustment. Offered as a suggestion for what our market requires.

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Nice fabwork!!!When you think adjustable, your way makes for a easy less hassle free solution.