• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH front disc kit issue, need help ASAP!!!

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'm installing the above kit. Two issues so far and I need some answers... First thing is for those of you who have purchased the kit, did yours come with the fittings that attach the flex line to the caliper? I just see a hole in the caliper and nothing included to attach the hose to it.

Second and more importantly, were your calipers easy to install, or did it require a little persuasion? The calipers and mounting holes did not line up very well, which I think is what is causing my biggest problem. Both calipers are on, and the drivers side hub WILL NOT MOVE! The inside pad is in full contact, while the outside one is loose. The passenger side has some friction, but turns by hand. Any suggestions???

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I think I see the problem, the caliper is contacting the knuckle. How do I fix that?

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Lemme guess, I have to take everything back off and replace the spindle seal with the other seal and spacer? I don't gave the old spindles to look at, is a 74 D44 considered a "late-style" axle?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Usually you have to grind the knuckles to get enough clearance between the caliper and knuckle that should solve that issue. Not sure what hoess they sent you I would think that the kit would come with the banjo bolts but if they didnt you can get them at most parts stores.
yes 74 axles are late style they are only refering to the early 71 style of axle which had d30 type axle seals.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
This help

Attachments

• Disc Brake  conversion 002.jpg
    Disc Brake conversion 002.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Disc conversion 003.jpg
    Disc conversion 003.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Disc conversion 007.jpg
    Disc conversion 007.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Disc conversion 009.jpg
    Disc conversion 009.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Disc conversion 010.jpg
    Disc conversion 010.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Disc Brake  conversion 003.jpg
    Disc Brake conversion 003.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Thanks for the pics Damon... I ground down the knuckle, and it works great! That saved me a lotta work, thanks again!

No banjo bolts though :cry:

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Book pics

Attachments

• Book d30 001.jpg
    Book d30 001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Book d30 002.jpg
    Book d30 002.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 16

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thanks man... I'd never heard anyone mention grinding the knuckles

Says it right in the WH installation instructions and probably some of the tech articles as well its quite common and most people that end up with issues after wards usually have not ground there knuckles or didnt grind them enough.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Says it right in the WH installation instructions and probably some of the tech articles as well its quite common and most people that end up with issues after wards usually have not ground there knuckles or didnt grind them enough.

Lmao, step 12 huh? I really need to start reading more carefully, now I feel really dumb.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
If Izzy was helping me that wouldn't have happened, he's the designated directions reader.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ahh dont worry we are men we dont need no stinking instructions. but it is one of the most common steps missed or just not enough grininding was done when when doing the swap. it comes up quite often on the forum.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Thanks Chuck, I was wondering about that. I've got the WH front disc kit and it's great, it was on my dana 30 and is now on my dana 44 so it might be time to take out the grinder again.
:cool: