• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH radius arm installation, wtf?

schmooter

Loc.
oklahoma
i just received a set of the extreme radius arms from wild horses. the instructions suck and i was wondering if anyone might have pics of the rear bracket placement. the instructions say "11 1/4 from stock bracket". wtf does that mean? where does that measurement come from, the front of the bracket, the hole in the bracket, rear of bracket? i have 3 1/2 lift so if anyone has pics of theirs or has any info let me know... thank you

Landshark

Loc.
California
i just received a set of the extreme radius arms from wild horses. the instructions suck and i was wondering if anyone might have pics of the rear bracket placement. the instructions say "11 1/4 from stock bracket". wtf does that mean? where does that measurement come from, the front of the bracket, the hole in the bracket, rear of bracket? i have 3 1/2 lift so if anyone has pics of theirs or has any info let me know... thank you

Well I took this straight from thier site:

"Locate the original radius arm bracket 11 1/4” back from the stock location. The original bolt holes from the bracket are a good reference point. Move both right and left side brackets back exactly the same amount. Also make sure the brackets are in the same position on the frame vertically. The measurement from the bottom of the frame to the large hole in the bracket should be the same for right and left sides."

Seems straight forward to me.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm guessing that measurement is from the mounting point where the radius arm attatches. I know when I mounted mine they recommended double checking your measurements off of the rear spring hangers. I have the early all for fun arms(wh sells all for fun arms) and mine moved back 12".

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
You could allways mock everything up, clamp the brackets onto the frame and eyeball the springs to see that they are straight up and down. Take a measurement from the new arm mount to the rear spring perch once you like it and make sure both meet that measurment. I moved mine 3.5" forward, cut off the threads at the rear of the arms and had big ol Ballistic high flex joints added to mine. Turned out pretty nice.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
It doesn't matter where that is measured from. Measuring from the front of the bracket back 11.25 or from the rear of the bracket back 11.25 puts it in the same place.

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
You could allways mock everything up, clamp the brackets onto the frame and eyeball the springs to see that they are straight up and down. Take a measurement from the new arm mount to the rear spring perch once you like it and make sure both meet that measurment. I moved mine 3.5" forward, cut off the threads at the rear of the arms and had big ol Ballistic high flex joints added to mine. Turned out pretty nice.

x2 this will get you very close to where you need.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Technical instructions are sometimes difficult to write...the clearer the better.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Am I the only one giggling a little?
:)
I've had worse moments though.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Not WH arms but the idea is the same. Just take the measurement from the existing mounting holes.

Attachments

• DSCF1009.jpg
    DSCF1009.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
S

schmooter

Loc.
oklahoma
arms

mark, you and bull dozer go ahead and laff your ass off. im tryin to get some help here, so if its so f'n funny then read something else and quit wasting space. i appreciate everyone else's input. thank you

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
don't have em, but the it seems like the key dimension or datum would be the location where the radius arm inserts into the mount. I'd start there.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I'm guessing that measurement is from the mounting point where the radius arm attatches. I know when I mounted mine they recommended double checking your measurements off of the rear spring hangers. I have the early all for fun arms(wh sells all for fun arms) and mine moved back 12".

I agree with steve. the hole is a good reference. Go from center of the original hole and measure 11.25'' back to locate the placement of the new arm mount. Steve is correct on the 12'' back. The arms have a lot of adjustment and when you mount them at 11.25'' the rod ends are jammed all the way into the end of the arm. limiting any needed adjustment that might be needed to move backwards. Also reference the front leaf spring mounting hole. You can use this to double check your placement.

bax

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
mark, you and bull dozer go ahead and laff your ass off. im tryin to get some help here, so if its so f'n funny then read something else and quit wasting space. i appreciate everyone else's input. thank you
oh, a sensitive type. I see you can't laugh at yourself a little.
sorry, here's the obvious answer. pick a place on the orignal mount (the center of the hole is a good place and measure 11.25 inches and make another hole with the center 11.25 inches from the previous hole center.
But you know what? It doesn't have to be the hole, you can use the leading edge of the radius arm bracket or the rear edge, just pick a damn reference spot and measure 11.25 inches back and mount the new bracket (or old cut off one) with same reference spot 11.25 inches back.
How hard is that?
And I also find it funny that there are 10 replies stating the same thing only using different words.
Do you really need more help with this?

I'm still giggling about this! :)

PsYcHoBrOnCo

Loc.
Fort Worth, Tx
Why do people have to be such smartasses??? Hell im scared to ask any questions on here. Like i was always told though, no question is a dumb one but replies like Marks are.

With this said, I will ask any question that is needed by me to get an answer...Don't be afraid to ask a question, this by any means is not Pirate..Take all the good from the Thread and ignore the rest. Develope some thick skin and ask away, you will never get answers to your questions by being "Afraid" to ask.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Why do people have to be such smartasses??? Hell im scared to ask any questions on here. Like i was always told though, no question is a dumb one but replies like Marks are.

golly, I was not being a smartass. I even depricated myself in my comment you quoted. Hell, I could be offended because you called me a smartass and dumb in your reply. Grow a set. If you want to see smartass go over to Pirate and look.

This damn keyboard is the worst communication device EVER!

My original comment would NOT have been taken as smart-ass if we were all standing around drinking beer together. We would have been laughing together. Don't you people joke around with friends?

I'll just go back to lurking so you won't be afraid to ask questions Okie :p %)

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I bought my extended Radius arms from JBGY. They had a tab that went to the inside of the frame rail and used an existing tapped bolt hole to position the mounts. Are you sure your mounts don't have this?

Chris B.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
My original comment would NOT have been taken as smart-ass if we were all standing around drinking beer together. We would have been laughing together. Don't you people joke around with friends?

Yeah, no kidding. Sometimes people get pretty defensive (I have been known to as well).

I thought it was pretty funny, too. I have had plenty of D'oh!!! moments like this.

As has been stated before....IF you are re-using the mounts (or have new ones that are the same geometry), it doesn't matter where you measure from. Just make sure that you use the same reference point on the mount.

Last edited: