• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH Shock Jock Lower Mounts - Do I Really Need Them?

ILikeBond

I was working on my 9" today and will be going with the WH shock jock mounts on the rear. I compared the lower mounts to the stock ones and noticed that the hole is only about 1/4" lower than stock, and they don't appear any more beefy or anything. Seems to me it's not worth the trouble to grind the stockers off and weld the lowers on given this. Am I missing anything?

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 30

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe...
There's no reason you can't use the old mounts, IF they're still in good shape, and IF they're in the right position.
The reason 4 mounts are included is in case you mess up the original ones when you cut them off. And they are intended to be cut off for this kit.

As with any product like this for a Bronco suspension, if you can make it work with your original parts, go for it. Primarily though, the included lower mounts are intended to be welded to the TOP of the axle tube. Rather than down low like the stock mounts.

Again though, if the way you're going to set things up will work with your stock mounts, in the stock locations, without the shock body hitting the spring (or anything else, go for it.

Paul

OP
OP
ILikeBond

ILikeBond

Makes sense. I guess I'm going to have to place the axle back and mock up the suspension before deciding. Thanks, Paul.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's the best way, with just about any Bronco. Too many variables and chances for a misaligned part to take the chance.
And with your pictures, it looks like the whole thing is out and upside down right now?
Super easy to work on that way, but not so easy to verify fit.

Good luck. Keep the pics coming.

Paul

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Lots of people mount the shock jock mount forward of the axle versus the stock position where the shocks are to the rear of the axle. So... if you're going that way and will be running dual shocks, you'll need 4 new lower mounts.

I mounted my shock jock to the rear, near where the stock mount was. I re-used the stock lower mount and it works just fine. Welded on the new uppers for when I used to run dual shocks.

OP
OP
ILikeBond

ILikeBond

Thanks, guys. Sounds good. And, yes - the axle is out being refurbished, cleaned up, new internals and drums, etc. In fact, just yesterday you (WH) shipped me the 31 spline extreme axles and master drum brake kit. ;D I'm also upgrading to 4.88 gears and an ARB locker.