• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What affordable 5 speeds work well between a 351W and a Dana 20?

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
I'm getting close to throwing my 351 into my '66 and now I'm looking for a transmission to mount behind it. Most of the transmissions I hear people recommending for V8 EB's (NV4500, NV3550, AX15, etc.) are a bit beyond my budget ATM. Some of the others, like a M5OD, don't seem to mount up well with the EB Dana 20 and instead work better with a Dana 300.

I'd like to keep my Dana 20, and do a five speed swap for around $1k. Are there any good options or am I better off just saving for one of the more common swaps?

1969miller

Contributor
Loc.
Elk Grove
Keep searching local ads for an AX15 from a jeep or NV3550, I paid $50 for my NV3550 last summer, and sold the Jeep bellhousing on it for $80. Deals are still out there if you are patient.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Your going to need an adapter for (5 speed to D20) with any 5 speed trans you pic and that's $500. Doing the swap for $1000 is going to be difficult IMO

I'm doing a 5 speed now...trust me you bleed money

Tim

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
Keep searching local ads for an AX15 from a jeep or NV3550, I paid $50 for my NV3550 last summer, and sold the Jeep bellhousing on it for $80. Deals are still out there if you are patient.
What kind of local ads? FB Marketplace? Craigslist? I doubt I'll find one for $50, but I have had good luck that way before.

1969miller

Contributor
Loc.
Elk Grove
What kind of local ads? FB Marketplace? Craigslist? I doubt I'll find one for $50, but I have had good luck that way before.
I use FB marketplace and craigslist, marketplace is usually the go to these days. Theres offerup too, but im not familiar with it.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
FB market place......got my R2 for $350 I had to remove it which required me dragging the truck home and taking it back.......Not a job for out in the middle of a field. So call it $400 for Trans, shifter, shifter boot and bezel. Kept a few nuts and bolts here and there too.

Tim

OP
OP
John_parkeriv

John_parkeriv

Loc.
Arcadia, FL
FB market place......got my R2 for $350 I had to remove it which required me dragging the truck home and taking it back.......Not a job for out in the middle of a field. So call it $400 for Trans, shifter, shifter boot and bezel. Kept a few nuts and bolts here and there too.

Tim
What kind of listing did you find that under? Was a guy parting out his truck or just selling the transmission specifically? I know they're all different, but it might help me narrow the search a bit 😂

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
What kind of listing did you find that under? Was a guy parting out his truck or just selling the transmission specifically? I know they're all different, but it might help me narrow the search a bit 😂
Well it wasn't easy. First I decided on a ZF or M5ODR2 and searched every way possible. Went through lots of searches. Transmissions specifically and then parting out f150 and f250. Specific year trucks all sorts of ways.

People list stuff incorrectly all the time. Wrong year, model trans....you just have to put in the work. The trans I bought was listed as a 99 but the Vin showed 2000. I searched for a couple years to find one local and priced right.

You pull it place are a great source as well.

Tim

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
M5OD will bolt up to your small block and will use the stock flywheel and clutch with no adapters but does require the hydraulic clutch setup. ZF to d20 adapter/kits work for this setup. If you get a M5OD from a later 4.2 v6 4x4 truck, you will get the shift tower in the rear most position which works great for our EB’s. NV3550/ax15 also require engine side adapters but the overall length is almost identical to the stock 3 speed so no driveshaft changes needed. Tough to keep it underneath $1K for sure.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
A ZF adapter will work with a M5OD swap? If so, that may be a good way to go.
Yes the zf adaptor works with the m5odr2. With either zf or R2 you will have to build your own crossmember and or buy one from BCBroncos. You will also have to modify your driveshafts with either the zf or R2. Both require a hydraulic clutch. Both use the stock bronco clutch, flywheel and starter. You will also need a longer speed o cable I think.

Tim

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My advice is to research the he'll out of each transmission and each swap. Each has its own pitfalls and modifications. I don't think there's a direct bolt in without modifying something.

Tim

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I recently swapped a ZF 5 speed into my rig and I love it so far. The transmission cost me $1000; got it from a truck wrecking yard who had tested it and gave a written guarantee. I debated long and hard about transfer case options and was going to adapt the D20 to it, but the devil on my shoulder convinced me to buy an Atlas instead. I have zero regrets but this pushed the conversion price WAY up. lol. Advance Adapters makes an adapter for the D20 behind the ZF and it's not horribly priced as I recall. You won't likely do this for $1K unless you find a screaming deal on a transmission, but in reality the ZF trans is such an easy swap. No adapters to the engine, the hydraulic clutch is stupidly simple to set up, and you don't have to do anything crazy with the shifter to make it fit the EB. So... ZF is my vote if you can flex the budget upwards a little...