• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What am I about to get myself into?

Iwannagofast

Contributor
Hey guys-

So I recently pulled the motor out of my 77 bronco to put in a new motor. I also am about to about to add the following modifications below. Would you guys recommend doing anything else while I am here? I was considering lifting the body off the chassis to repaint the frame but not sure how much work I am about to get myself into if I decide to do it.. I also want to clean up the current wiring under the hood as well. I am still running the OE wiring in the truck as well.

I would add photos but I don't know how too with the URL option..

Current Modifications i'm about to install:

- Wild Horses complete lift kit
- Complete 302/347 Engine built by Summers automotive
- New Radiator hoses
- New Heater Hoses
- Adding front Sway Bar
- New Tie Rod & Drag Link
- MOAB complete Hydroboost Brake system
- Heater Kit with Heat blaster motor upgrade
- Wheels & Tires

Contributor
Is your Bronco running and driving now? There are many instances where someone starts down the same path you want to go and they lose motivation or get overwhelmed and sell their Bronco in pieces. I’m currently in the middle of doing more or less of what you want to do. It’s a lot to do and things snowball because of “while in in there”.

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
Is your Bronco running and driving now? There are many instances where someone starts down the same path you want to go and they lose motivation or get overwhelmed and sell their Bronco in pieces. I’m currently in the middle of doing more or less of what you want to do. It’s a lot to do and things snowball because of “while in in there”.
This is a good, valid point. It's easy and fun to build a wishlist - it's a different task altogether to purchase and install these things. Also, there is always the old allegory about how projects can get out of hand fast...

A man buys new valve covers to spiff up the engine bay. The covers don't clear the air cleaner, so he buys a taller air cleaner, which the hood doesn't clear. He cuts out and installs a hood scoop, but now the hood needs repainting. A repaint on the hood won't match car, so the whole car is repainted. (not sure where I read this, but paraphrasing it as best I can remember)

That said, to answer the OP's question:

• Engine mounts
  • Engine bay cleanup (repaint or metal work that's needed)
  • Consider your engine's front dress options (stock or explorer)

Sendero

Contributor
Sr. Jr. Member
Wow, it seams like all of us agree….

Coming from a man whose bronco is still in pieces, I wish I had left it frame on, slapped a v8 with power steering in it and been driving it all of this time…

PDQ

Contributor
My day started with an oil pan gasket replacement and, only because it could be done at the same time, a rear main seal replacement, which turned into a complete failure which led to a new crate motor, which led to a 5 speed, which led to a frame off job which is now 4 years in and going.......
The truck will be amazing......but in hindsight, I would have been fine just driving it like it was before trying to fix the oil seepage......

PDQ

Contributor
However, my own frustration on my own project did not answer your original question. Based on your original question, there are no land mines and you are on a good initial track, Lof forward to tracking the progress.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
maybe tackle one at a time? Like Mad said...enjoy the ride! So many people buy these and rip them apart before using them and never get to have enjoyment along the way

OP
OP
I

Iwannagofast

Contributor
I just pulled the motor out of it to put the new motor in it and was thinking of other little things I should do while I am here. Im trying to figure out how to add photos of it on here...

OP
OP
I

Iwannagofast

Contributor
get it driving, have fun while you build and drive.
Yeah I agree, I put about 20-25k miles on it a year so I have been enjoying it and do intend on driving it. I just wasn't sure how crazy I am to think about repainting the frame because like many have mentioned I know it will be easy to say "Lets repaint the axles now, etc etc"

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Yeah I agree, I put about 20-25k miles on it a year so I have been enjoying it and do intend on driving it. I just wasn't sure how crazy I am to think about repainting the frame because like many have mentioned I know it will be easy to say "Lets repaint the axles now, etc etc"
This is why I like patina trucks. You can pick and choose what you make pretty. Sounds like you enjoy driving it. Resist the temptation to take it to the frame, you will become sooooo frustrated. I hate it when my old iron DD is down for a couple of days just waiting on parts. Feels like a whipping getting in a brand new truck, like a kid mad cuz you want what you want and it don’t have to make sense😂

OP
OP
I

Iwannagofast

Contributor
This is why I like patina trucks. You can pick and choose what you make pretty. Sounds like you enjoy driving it. Resist the temptation to take it to the frame, you will become sooooo frustrated. I hate it when my old iron DD is down for a couple of days just waiting on parts. Feels like a whipping getting in a brand new truck, like a kid mad cuz you want what you want and it don’t have to make sense😂
I agree, I have in the last year repainted just the original top and replaced the glass/seals just because it was due and I really enjoy driving the truck. Ive owned the truck for roughly 4 years and it's been in our family for about 12 years. The motor was rebuilt 14 years ago and I could feel it getting tired so I went ahead and got a new crate motor and sent the original off to get rebuilt and going to just store it.

Contributor
Your Bronco looks great! I would definitely just keep driving it and do one thing at a time.

OP
OP
I

Iwannagofast

Contributor
Your Bronco looks great! I would definitely just keep driving it and do one thing at a time.
Thank you! I have decided I just am going to go to a friends and use his "Dry ice pressure washer" and see how that goes on the frame and engine bay. I just need to figure out a way to clean up the wiring you can see in the photos...Going for the "Stock" look

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Freshen up the radiator. Either with a new one or have the original (if present) rebuilt at a competent radiator shop. Keeps all the coolant clean since you will have a new engine and new heater core. Don't forget some type of sacrificial anode or whatever its called if you are running anything aluminum (heads, radiator, water pump, heater core) in the cooling system. And I agree with the others, that thing is really clean, so the only reason I'd come close to pulling the body would be to replace body mounts if it needs them. Nice ride!