• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Are Some Good Mufflers??

77broncoguy

Loc.
Grand Rapids, MI
single muffler

Any suggestions for a single muffler setup? I have a 77, going to get a high flow cat, but not sure what muffler. A friend suggested a Gibson. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
tml

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the feedback

To all who responded.. Thanks for the feedback. It gives me some Idea as to what to look for.. Thanks again

rubberneck

Contributor
Loc.
Severn, Maryland
muffle mouth

I've had flowmasters on for about ten years. I got them of a old '69 cj , put them on my '74 bronco with trickflow heads and 3" exhaust. very loud , but I like it that way. surprisingly they're not that loud at idle.

b4 the flowmasters I had some glasspacks , which basically were just straight pipe, once all the louvers filled with soot.

vap13

I understand flow master makes a new one called Hushpower II. Its suppose to be more compact and run much cooler than the others, anybody have them?
Paul

68ford

Bronco Guru
flowmasters dont get hot anyway i think? mine dont seem to. i think if you run the pipes out the rear youl be fine, mine have 45degree turn downs about 6 inches before the axle and its pretty loud just cruising. and if your going up a grade you have to raise your voice alot to comunicate with the pass.

as for running with a cat. on my 94gmc i have magnaflow highflow cat and 3in pipe to 1chamber flowmaster and nothing after the muffler. it sounds good, but not loud at all, its loud when you get on it though.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
I plan on trying the Hush Power II's. They look like they will tuck away much better than the 40 series. 18" long and looks about 4" or 5" wide with all stainless construction.

thumping

Broncobowsher

Total hack
68ford said:
flowmasters dont get hot anyway i think? mine dont seem to...

You don't drive it hard enough. The stainles steel clamps on the heatshield are discolored on mine. No cats, just headers (now manifolds) going straight into the muffler under the passenger seat. Heatshield is the flowmaster version that I put on to try and keep the heat from radiating into the cab through the floor. The carpet I put down later did a better job but would probably have melted without the heatshield.

The dead soft aluminium collector gaskets will melt if covered up. I had a few feet of header wrap over the collector because the exhaust was so close to the transmission pan. It was just enough to save the pan gasket at the cost of the collector gasket. Solved most of my exhaust issues by changing from headers to manifolds. Still gets hot though.

As for the stock straigh 6 mantioned above, a long glass pack or louder series flowmaster with a full length exhaust gives it a nice tractor engine sound.

joshuatrapp

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Broncobowsher said:
As for the stock straigh 6 mantioned above, a long glass pack or louder series flowmaster with a full length exhaust gives it a nice tractor engine sound.

Is that from personal experience? :)

ransil

Bronco Guru
sababa said:
I am new as a contributor but I thought I would throw out some ideas.
Everyone loves the powerful sound of 40 series flowmasters but there
are some other nice options out there. For me I want to be able to hear
my passengers .http://www.spintechmufflers.com/
check em out.

Your not married are you ?? :)

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
joshuatrapp said:
What about a guy with a stock 6cyl?

Anyone out there with exhaust experience on the quirky "monster?"

Joshua.

Here ja go ;D

Known to add at least 100 hp to imports!!

Just kidding! :)

On a serious note, I had the pontoon float on our 150 S-crew replaced with a magnaflow. Sounds awesome but not obnoxious.

Attachments

• A71162KH04.jpg
    A71162KH04.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 80

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
I've got a couple of MagnaFlows on my Bronco, nice tone and they're not too loud.

If I ever decide to get a Honda Civic I'm going to run one of these.

Attachments

• mega_pipe_back_right.jpg
    mega_pipe_back_right.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 25