• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WHAT AXLE IS IN MY EB

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
[quote author=jmms link=board=5;threadid=20578;start=0#msg158493 date=1059519455]
What axles is in the rear of my 1972 Bronco? I know it's a 9" but is it a small bearing or big bearing, 28 or 31 spline?
[/quote]

Look at the nameplate in the glovebox, and post the axle code shown there. Most likely it is a 28 spline (most, if not all, were) and a small bearing. I can't remember which year it was that they switched to big bearing, but I think it was the last 2 or 3 years of production (there were a few big bearings mixed in other production years though, these are funny that way)

DeanW

Loc.
SF (South) Bay Area
I've wondered this myself. I haven't looked at the tag on the axle; but, according to the info on the glovebox door I have the 4950(?)GVW axle, 3.50 gears, limited slip ('73). Is this BB? 28 or 31?

I'm pretty sure none of the PO changed the rear.

Dean

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
4950 gvw would require the big bearing axle and they would be 28 spline. Providing they didn't change the rear end. another quick way to check would be to measure the bolts comming through the back of the backing plates 1/2" bolts are big bearing axles 3/8" bolts small bearing axles.

Southerner

If you have the axle out, just count the splines. Of course if you don't I couldn't tell you how to tell, though I agree with others it is most likely a 28 spline. I've got a 71 that is 28 spline. Big bearing vs small bearing, one of the eb parts suppliers has a schematic on their site that has the bearing plate measurements for both. I'll try to find it and post.

Southerner

[quote author=Southerner link=board=5;threadid=20578;start=0#msg159035 date=1060093735]
If you have the axle out, just count the splines. Of course if you don't I couldn't tell you how to tell, though I agree with others it is most likely a 28 spline. I've got a 71 that is 28 spline. Big bearing vs small bearing, one of the eb parts suppliers has a schematic on their site that has the bearing plate measurements for both. I'll try to find it and post.
[/quote]

It's on this page, hope it helps :D

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/18.asp