• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What brand wideband O2 gauge kit do you have, and where did you mount the gauge?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm toying with the idea of installing a wideband O2 gauge for use on my existing carb. It will also be good reference if I eventually go to fuel injection.
If you have one of these setups, what brand did you use, and where did you mount the gauge?
Also, do I have to mount the gauge at all? Why can't I just use the gauge to make carb adjustments, then unplug it and stash the wire harness under the dash?

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I used the Nicktrix one to mount, actually two. One holds my tach and the other connects my tach to my A/F gauge. I have a picture on my garage, and I used the AEM (30-4110) UEGO Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge. You can adjust the A/f ratio and unplug it.

Last edited:

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I think you may also have to remove the the 02 sensor if you disconnect the gauge because of the heating circuit the gauge provides to the O2 sensor, when the engine is cold. When you expose an unheated O2 (they are heated in normal operation) the hot exhaust gas burns them out.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
That's sure good to know.
Thanks

Also, I have duals with an "H" pipe behind rear of the transfer case. I'm wondering if the harness is long enough to reach the "H" pipe. That's where I'd be putting the bung.

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I had my o2 Bungs welded near the exhaust manifolds, I have a 4 barrel Holley and first calibrated the right exhaust then the left exhaust. The 02 sensor is connected to the right side.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm thinking about making it completely removable, and plugging it into the cigar lighter when doing the calibrating. That way I can use it on other applications.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Widebands went the way that everything else is going these days. The absolute best was discontinued and an inferior product replaced it. The best consumer grade wideband was the NTK #91101. It was replaced with the 96604, which is ok I guess, just an average wideband.

Ballenger somehow worked out a way to continue making the original but with their branding, it's come down in price a lot, it used to be crazy expensive compared to the original. See here: Clicky

BLRZ0zI.jpg

Rumor has it that there is now a third version being released #90067, it's supposed to be able to use the same great sensors as the original. But I haven't heard any real world feedback on it yet.

As mentioned above, you never want to leave a sensor in the exhaust without your controller plugged in. The NGK/NTK sensor mentioned above would be a great "portable" solution.

You didn't mention which EFI you want to run...With Mustang EFI you can wire the wideband output into the EGR circuit to datalog AFR (or more preferably, Lambda), so any wideband with an analog out will work. Innovate's products work pretty decently if you want to log through USB. I kind of like the MTX-L, but it's not as awesome as the original NTK. I believe that most of the aftermarket TBI units are using native wideband.

Another thing to mention is the placement of the sensor. Wait until you have made your decision and have your sensor before you go adding the bung. Different manufacturers specify different lengths from the collector for sensor longevity and accuracy.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA

I used to be a Dealer for PLX...

This was my best seller to the folks in my car club:

https://www.plxdevices.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=897346002719

When PLX was small, it was an easy company to deal with as a Vendor, but as they grew and added more products, it got difficult to be a small time Vendor. And so we parted ways... You know the more paperwork and hoops you have to do/maintain takes the fun out of it. But I like all of their products and can highly recommend this one.

Doug

MonsterBIlly

i havr a brand new AFR gauge i will sell you for 50 bucks plus shipping. im in az. i paid about 200 for it ehen ourchased. i ended up installing efi so i didnt use it.
its a summit brand SUM-G2995 with red display