• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what cam and lifters?? help

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
i have a 68 bronco with a 69 302 its bone stock besides the edelbrock performer intake and a edelbrock 650 carb. i was driving it and it sounded like an exhaust leak so i took it to a exhaust shop and they said it was a lifter tick. i dont know what cam and lifters to get from summet please help with ur input i dont want a RPM cam i want the torque thanks guys

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Before you jump to a can swap, put about a half a quart of ATF in the oil, that should clean any varnish from your lifters and free them up.

As for a good all around can the Edelbrock Performer/Summit RV can is what a lot of guys on classicbroncos use.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Whoa that Bronco down! If you have a lifter tick, fixing it could be as easy as replacing that one lifter. How many miles does it have on it? A replacement lifter would only be a few dollars compared to installing a new cam and lifters, plus new bearings which leads to a complete overhaul.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Pull the valve cover for a look. You could find a pulled rocker stud, broken valve spring, bent pushrod, or broken rocker. I've even seen backed off rocker nuts cause a tick. Also, if it is a varnished sticky lifter, and ATF doesn't do it, I've had better luck doing an oil change with a can of Berrymans Chemtool added to the new oil.
If you are really convinced to go the new cam route, an Edelbrock Performer (or any of the many knock-offs) would really work good with your 4 barrel intake and carb setup. Just be sure to have the valve springs checked to make sure they are compatible with your new cam. All the new cams I've had came with a set of new lifters.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
marvel mystery oil it, atf is fer transmissions well yea P/S too........BTW its alot easier to change lifters than do the whole cam swap...let me rephrase that ALOT EASIER!

Did I mention you gotta pull the motor to pull a cam in a bronco? no cut a hole in the grill coments please

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
marvel mystery oil it, atf is fer transmissions well yea P/S too........BTW its alot easier to change lifters than do the whole cam swap...let me rephrase that ALOT EASIER!

Did I mention you gotta pull the motor to pull a cam in a bronco? no cut a hole in the grill coments please

Just pull off the grill. A 10 minute job that makes water pump and timing chain work so much easier.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Lots of options a ticking lifter could be due to lots of reasons. bad lifter, worn cam lobe, pulled rocker stud, valve spring, bent pushrod, ect. you never know until you pull it apart.
A popular cam choice is the eldebrock performer or one with similar specs. As was stated you either have to pull the grill or remove the engine to replace the cam.

OP
OP
R

RIDER68

Loc.
southwest washington
ya im in the middle of pulling the grill right now. ive been wanting to put a cam in it anyway so looks like this is the right time to do it ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, ignoring what other problems you may have and just picking a cam for your engine based on what specs you stated...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K3600/ is a real nice choice. Same grind as the Edelbrock performer, Ford motorsports, and many others. Nice little wake up for a basicly stock engine that isn't over the top. Very drivable.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
OK, ignoring what other problems you may have and just picking a cam for your engine based on what specs you stated...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K3600/ is a real nice choice. Same grind as the Edelbrock performer, Ford motorsports, and many others. Nice little wake up for a basicly stock engine that isn't over the top. Very drivable.

I have an Erson that was essentially the Edelbrock Performer cam specs according to my buddy Kenny at Super Shops back in the late 80's. It has worked really well. Certainly not too radical. Lots of low rpm torque. Only the slightest lope if any at idle.

Any of you guys ever use Rhoades (bleed down) lifters to increase low end torque?
They were all the rage back in the 80's but you don't hear much about them anymore.