• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What do I need to do to freshen up a set of 351W Lightning GT40 heads?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Apparently ntsqd has never looked at GT40 heads or is unwilling to research the specifications. Either way GT40 heads DO have pressed in steel exhaust valve seats, and have no need to have them installed again.
I asked a very experienced Ford tech about it. If you have evidence to the contrary trot it out as I'd like to see it. It would be extremely unusual for an OEM to do that, but it's not impossible. If they only did it on the exhausts, that would make some sense. Still an expensive thing to do.

Much more likely that the machining mark is being confused and "internet authorities" have deemed it so. In the ~15odd years working fabrication in an engine machine shop I've seen plenty of cyl heads that looked like they had hard seat inserts when the valves were in place, but clearly didn't once the valves were removed. I got to weld those that could be back together.