• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What do you use in your parts washer?

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Thinking of picking up a washer from Harbor Freight. I've read that Varsol is good, along with straight diesel, and products from ZEP or mineral spirits. I'm looking for something that won't stink up the garage. Thanks.

75brnco

Ozzijuice, can be found at napa. Its water based works great and you wont blow up

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
I don't have a parts washer but i do have a Rubbermaid tub. I dump Harbor Freight's heavy durt parts cleaner in there, mix with hot tap water, and go to town with a wire brush. It's water soluble, non-toxic, and biodegradable. I just dump it out on my driveway when I'm done. I bet the stuff would work well in an actual parts washer. Super cheap, too!

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-heavy-duty-degreaser-42998.html

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I bought 5 gallons of a ZEP product from Home Depot. It does a pretty good job. Not as good as kerosene but better than anything else that is non explosive / flammable. Does weird stuff to aluminum if you leave it in too long.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
Purple Stuff.....many of the purple products are the same I believe. Can mix and dilute with water if you like.

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
Purple power a lot of the parts places carry it out here and it's not to bad on price when u compare how much you need. It doesn't affect paint if you want to keep to keep the paint and lose the grease

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I use a wire brush and a stick in my 5 gal bucket.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Wire brush is great for parts that can take it. I need to clean the entire set of 4R70W internals.....so looking for the best stuff that doesn't require brushing.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Wire brush is great for parts that can take it. I need to clean the entire set of 4R70W internals.....so looking for the best stuff that doesn't require brushing.

It doesn't matter what solvent you use, you will need to use at least a soft bristle brush.