• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is this?

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
There was a problem processing your request.<br><br>We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.<br>Please try again.<br>Thank you. <br><br>didnt work for me

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Never seen that thing before, does it have any holes in it or anything?? Maybe its for somekind of smog junk?? No ideas...

jims66

Smog junk it is! That is the cover for the evaporative emissions container.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I don't have one on mine either, but don't know if you need it or not. Heck, maybe it even needs some kind of maintanence or something.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=jims66 link=board=5;threadid=12846;start=0#96460 date=1041483248]<br>Smog junk it is! That is the cover for the evaporative emissions container.<br>[/quote]Yep, Mine doesnt do anything but I have a 73 with all the smog junk gone.

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
Mine has one of those--I thought it was a cover for the spare fuel tank filler hose, even though my rig doesn't have a spare tank.<br><br>Evap canister cover makes sense--Mine's a '75. If that's the case, earlier years likely wouldn't have one.<br><br>Ed<br>

koolstang

Loc.
Pineville, Missouri
Yeah my '74 has one but when the previous owner ran new gas lines he didnt hook it back up so im guessing you dont need it because i havnt had problems

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I just ripped the whole evap container out of my '73. I forgot to put the cover on when I put my roll cage in, and I didn't have it hooked up anyway, so I took it out. <br>-Eric

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
My '73 has it too, but I never took the screws loose to see what was behind it.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
My 70 has one. If you look up from the rear tire into that location you will see a oblong rubber plug with three or four hoses running through it. I've never taken the cover off to see what is on the inside.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
Gas tank evaporation canister. My 71' had one believe it or not. It must have been bound for CA ;D ;D<br><br>You can do without it, if you don't want to use one.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
looks like some sort of homemade compartment for something. Maybe a former drug runner used this bronco for things other than wheeling ;D

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
[quote author=2badrotties link=board=5;threadid=12846;start=0#96630 date=1041549182]<br>My 70 has one. If you look up from the rear tire into that location you will see a oblong rubber plug with three or four hoses running through it. I've never taken the cover off to see what is on the inside.<br>[/quote]<br><br>The only thing inside there is a plastic bottle similar to your washer solvent bottle but shaped differently and it has 3 or 4 hoses that connect to the bottom of it. The hoses run to your gas tank /s.<br><br>You can see the hoses by looking under the truck in front of the rear wheel well. The will connect to your gas tank /s

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
Here is an unnecessaty explanation. It is an Evaporative Emissions / Charcoal Canister. As the fuel vapors in your gas tanks expand, the vapors pass through those connecting lines into the Charcoal Canister, and are trapped by the charcoal substrate. When your engine is running, one of the lines is a purge line going to your Carburetor or Intake manifold, which draws the vapors into the engine and burns them. Technically, you could see a mileage difference if your vehicle doesn't get driven much, or in hotter areas. I am pretty sure you wouldn't ever see any difference. <br>I have it on my '75, and my brother on his '72 in that exact spot. I would guess that '71 and later have it located somewhere, I am pretty sure that is when EVAP systems became Federally mandated. <br>Blah blah blah. Feel free to correct me if any of that is incorrect.