• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What lift Should i go with???

fordtrucksrule

First off i just bought a 1969 bronco. it means a lot to me because i purched while i was in the hospital found it in the paper and here i am. I would like to do do some trails and hills. i was thinking of a 3.5" i want to run 33" tires but i dont know will work? Who shall i go through, wild horses, james duff, bronco graveyard, BCB, or toms bronco parts? Also what stage i just want a very capable off road and still do good on road.

yak67

Bronco Guru
I think all the different suppliers have good systems, since you're in Cal. I'd go with Wildhorses, just for shipping purposes, or being able to go and pick it up and save on shipping. 2.5" to 3.5" will fit 33's without a problem. As for the system, if you do Wildhorses I'd go with their system 3 or 5.

old bronco

What lift would you guys recommend for a 77 with full width axles and a TRO. Mostly on the street. (sorry to hijack).

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
First off i just bought a 1969 bronco. it means a lot to me because i purched while i was in the hospital found it in the paper and here i am. I would like to do do some trails and hills. i was thinking of a 3.5" i want to run 33" tires but i dont know will work? Who shall i go through, wild horses, james duff, bronco graveyard, BCB, or toms bronco parts? Also what stage i just want a very capable off road and still do good on road.

Welcome aboard fordtrucksrule and congratulations.

All of the vendors you have mentioned make a great product, but given your location and stated needs, I think I would go with the Wild Horses 3.5 System 16. I would upgrade to the heavy duty U-bolt kit, add extended brake lines and E-brake cable. Your current drive shafts will probably work just fine. You might also discus swapping out the drop track bar drop bracket for a track bar riser instead.

Kenny

With 33's, I think you'll be happy with a 3.5" lift. All of the vendors that you listed are good....as mentioned, might want to check Cage as well.

WH is good stuff, but I don't know if I'd buy it because it's in CA.....WH (Stockton) is still kind of far from SoCal, and if you did save in shipping, those savings would probably be offset by CA sales tax. Since the other vendors are out of state, you probably won't have to pay sales tax.

The Wild Horses 3.5 System 16 and upgrades mentioned by Astark is a good combo of components. I'd probably try to find a combo of components similar to that from each vendor, and price it out (shipping and tax incl.).

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you are in CA call Mark at WH and tell him what you got and what you want to do with it and he will set you up.

tobyw

I'm in exactly the same position here, and from what I've seen about the only major differences between the stated vendors appears to be in what shocks they offer... WH for example has a house brand (likely a rebadged something??), while Tom's offers Rancho RS5000's. Can anyone comment on what shocks are the preferred among the not-so-hardcore crowd?

DSGStang

Loc.
Katy, TX
I figured I'd bring back an old thread rather than start a new one because I searched and have some of the same questions....

I'm looking at two in particular but I'm not sure what the differences are between the two kits. I've heard high opinions on WH but what about the Bronco graveyard kit.

Bronco Graveyard's Kit $559.00 + 4 shocks ~ $160.00 = $719.00
This lift kit includes:
-Superlift Coils
-Daystar 14 Piece C-Bushing Kit
-Superlift Adjustable Trac-Bar
-New Rear Leaf Packs
-New U-Bolts
-Drop Pitman Arm

WildHorse 3.5" System 3 $733.16 + Drop Pitman Arm $69.99 = $803.15
Includes:
-front coils
-14 pc. bushing kit
-rear 11 leaf pack springs
-rear spring and shackle bushing kit
-4 Extreme shocks with boots
-U-bolts
-Trac bar drop bracket

-Ryan

Uncut75

Loc.
Nipomo, CA
...while Tom's offers Rancho RS5000's. Can anyone comment on what shocks are the preferred among the not-so-hardcore crowd?

I just checked the other day and I think Tom's is no longer offering the Rancho's with their kits. I think they went with Pro Comp shocks.
Any difference? Which are better?

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I have the duffs 3.5 ultimate suspension and like it so far (only drove it about 50 miles). I did have to get my rear driveshaft lengthened.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I figured I'd bring back an old thread rather than start a new one because I searched and have some of the same questions....

I'm looking at two in particular but I'm not sure what the differences are between the two kits. I've heard high opinions on WH but what about the Bronco graveyard kit.

Bronco Graveyard's Kit $559.00 + 4 shocks ~ $160.00 = $719.00
This lift kit includes:
-Superlift Coils
-Daystar 14 Piece C-Bushing Kit
-Superlift Adjustable Trac-Bar
-New Rear Leaf Packs
-New U-Bolts
-Drop Pitman Arm

WildHorse 3.5" System 3 $733.16 + Drop Pitman Arm $69.99 = $803.15
Includes:
-front coils
-14 pc. bushing kit
-rear 11 leaf pack springs
-rear spring and shackle bushing kit
-4 Extreme shocks with boots
-U-bolts
-Trac bar drop bracket

-Ryan

Dont go with the low end springs from JBG. You want the JBG SUPERFLEX springs...they are Deaver springs and the ride is awesome. The fronts are not variable rate so will not tend to sag as much over time. They are soft springs and ride great. I am running alot more lift than mentioned above (5.5"), but the ride is very, very good. I also used the Cage arms, front and rear dual shock mounts and the Cage shocks. For the front end, I also did a Chevy TRO setup with the WH Track Bar Riser. It rides better than many new cars...seriously. 75-80 mph is not a problem and it tracks straight. I know it seems like you can spend alot of $$ on suspension...and you can..but it is definitely one of those systems that you get what you pay for... EVERYTIME you drive it, you will be reminded of what you did that was right, wrong, good or bad suspension-wise. Save up, if necessary, but dont make the mistake of getting crappy stiff cheap springs. [Gets off soapbox].

DSGStang

Loc.
Katy, TX
Dont go with the low end springs from JBG. You want the JBG SUPERFLEX springs...they are Deaver springs and the ride is awesome. The fronts are not variable rate so will not tend to sag as much over time. They are soft springs and ride great. I am running alot more lift than mentioned above (5.5"), but the ride is very, very good. I also used the Cage arms, front and rear dual shock mounts and the Cage shocks. For the front end, I also did a Chevy TRO setup with the WH Track Bar Riser. It rides better than many new cars...seriously. 75-80 mph is not a problem and it tracks straight. I know it seems like you can spend alot of $$ on suspension...and you can..but it is definitely one of those systems that you get what you pay for... EVERYTIME you drive it, you will be reminded of what you did that was right, wrong, good or bad suspension-wise. Save up, if necessary, but dont make the mistake of getting crappy stiff cheap springs. [Gets off soapbox].

So what your saying is if I spend the money to go with the WH and I should be better off, or spend extra money and get better springs with the JBG? Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Ryan

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Yeah, pretty much. If you buy springs from JBG, get their "superflex line"; those are the Deavers. BCB sells Deaver leafsprings; their coils are made by an undisclosed manufacturer. I am not sure who WH and Toms carry these days as far as their leafsprings. Scot at AmericanBronco.com also sells Deaver spring sets.

My point above is that people dont often get the "difference" in the packages. They think that one kit is priced a few dollars less at one vendor, so its a better deal. I made that mistake many years ago on my first lift...and my truck rode stiff for a long, long time...due partially to springs and partially to Ranchos and partially to old school duals. Handled good, rode hard.

I wouldnt say to go with WH as I havent had the opportunity to ride in a truck yet with their suspension...however, most reports are good from most of the vendors these days. Spring, shock and suspension technology have come a long way. To get the best ride out of your Bronco, consider some long radius arms or even radius arm extensions, it really does make a difference in a DD as well as for flex offroad. Good luck.

John