• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what rpm at 70mph

I have a 302 with 3 speed manual and 35x12.50x15 also have 411 gears, what will i be looking at on rpms at 65&70 mph??? also would i get better mpg's with 3 speed auto or manual Thanks

OP
OP

thanks, Im just deciding if i want to get a aod transmission or not. I had a 88 bronco with 36x14.50 with a c4 and it wasnt too bad just didnt know if the 3 speed manual was any worse

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
35" tires and 4.11 gears at 70 mph you should be turning 2762 rpm's. 65 mph will have you at 2565 rpm's or so.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While RPM's would be down I doubt that you would be happy with the OD tranny and your current gearing/tire combo would lose more than you'll gain. More than likely it wouldnt stay in OD and even then it would suck more gas as the engine trys to keep RPM's. You would need about 4.88's or lower to run that AOD effectively.

OP
OP

that bronco did have a c4 put in, So i guess ill run the 3 speed manual , all i want is 13-14 mpgs

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Make sure the engine is properly tuned and jetted thats about all you can do. you should be able to eek out 13. but those big tires and lift required to clear them suck the mileage right down fast.
Some engine mods inline with your driving needs would help as well like a cam matched for your setup, a free flowing exhaust and good advance curve in the dist will all help up the miles and power.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
While RPM's would be down I doubt that you would be happy with the OD tranny and your current gearing/tire combo would lose more than you'll gain. More than likely it wouldnt stay in OD and even then it would suck more gas as the engine trys to keep RPM's. You would need about 4.88's or lower to run that AOD effectively.

I agree, or go down to 33s.