• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What should I make out of this diamond plate?

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
I’m getting a section of aluminum diamond plate from a friend. It is 1/8” thick and the sheet is 7 ft long and 40 – 48 inches wide (width varies along it).

Any ideas what I should make out of it? I’d like to make rear interior quarter panel covers out of it, but I figured you guys might have some other good ideas.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
murdock said:
I’m getting a section of aluminum diamond plate from a friend. It is 1/8” thick and the sheet is 7 ft long and 40 – 48 inches wide (width varies along it).

Any ideas what I should make out of it? I’d like to make rear interior quarter panel covers out of it, but I figured you guys might have some other good ideas.
If it was stainless it would work for skid plates. Since it isn't then you have come up with the type of use I would use it for. Not that particular use for me though because that would eliminate valuable storage space.

Mad Dog

There's a few things you could make out of it. Rear quarter panel covers, door panels, inside tailgate cover, radio hole cover, engine bay covers over the wheel wells, or maybe a tunnel cover. Use your imagination.

Vin-Man

Loc.
Milford, Illinois
Tunnel Cover vote here too. I just emailed a guy on ebay who makes all kinds of diamond plate items about this, and he don't make tunnel covers. Is there anyone that does?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i dressed up my engine bay with some. i cut pieces to set on top of the inner fenders, and if you have a metal break you can make a piece that bolts onto the core supports that goes over the radiator to the fan shroud between the upper mounts. hard to explain, but if you saw it you'd like it. only thing is it gets in the way of laying down the hood prop rod, but i have hood shocks.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I'm considering putting pieces down the sides of the inner fender. (You know where they crack at the back) If not then I'll probably pick up new sheetmetal for that area anyway.

yak67

Bronco Guru
Vin-Man said:
Tunnel Cover vote here too. I just emailed a guy on ebay who makes all kinds of diamond plate items about this, and he don't make tunnel covers. Is there anyone that does?
have you checked with Jeff's, they have all sorts of DP items, I got the a tunnel cover for my 3spd from column to floor conversoin from them.

donks&broncs

Loc.
The Fort,CO
I helped a friend make the FORD letters for his grill out of DD. We made them a hair bigger than stock but the same design. Then we painted them black. If you've ever worked with it, you know details can be a pain. But with a lot of patience and beer, his came out lookin good. :cool:

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
get a piano hinge and rip off your dash pad, make a storage dash compartment, like wild child offers, who knows, coat it with some truck bed liner....or you could just do what everyone else does, and dress up