• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What size is the factory crank pulley

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I recently picked up an early original small block ford and was looking it over. The crank pulley looks extra small. Single groove cast iron 3-bolt pulley. But it is only 5" OD. I'm thinking that is smaller than normal. Another oddity, I have never seen a 2-barrel ALUMINUM intake. Cast iron all the time, but this is cast aluminum.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What’s the casting date? Is it possibly a 260 or smaller?
Almost sounds like one of the late model small ones. I forget what size they were, but something in the 4 liter range?

Curious what the engineering number is on the manifold too.

And cast iron instead of stamped steel. It’s very interesting.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Casting number comes back as a '63 221. It is a boat motor. Has a huge cast oil pan, not a Bronco oil pan like other boat motors.
And the real fun one, reverse rotation. The firing order is backwards.

Not installed, but in my collection of oddities is a 1-barrel intake manifold, side draft.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It might be a Volvo b36 v8 Volvo penta made marine engines and I think ford put their name of them
does it look like the pic . Cool stuff was like 140 hp in the early 60s

Attachments

• 1AA00E70-7485-4675-AFA6-721884780E86.jpeg
    1AA00E70-7485-4675-AFA6-721884780E86.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It might be a Volvo b36 v8 Volvo penta made marine engines and I think ford put their name of them
does it look like the pic . Cool stuff was like 140 hp in the early 60s
I picked it up because it is an old original small block. Dearborn marine interceptor. It has the right manifolds, tach drive, etc that if I ever needed to replace the Y-block boat engine I have now I could go with the much more advanced small block. This one was built with a 2-barrel Carter carburator. The 1-barrel intake is something I have been hording for years. Super low profile. Even the distributor cap has side exit terminals to lower the profile. The tallest part of the engine is just about the valve covers. Ford marketing in the day was the lowest profile engine on the market. This let you package the engine under the deck without having to raise the floor. The end result is just an oddball version of a small block with a lot of strange pieces. The crank pulley just looks small to me, thus wondering what a stock pulley size is to reference against it.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool info, I was just checking it out and it’s pretty interesting and then saw the volvo penta stuff, I never knew Volvo made v8 s back then.
maybe the pulley difference was due to the assesorry drive speed, differences cool stuff

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s probably kind of traditional to run a smaller main pulley on a boat, isn’t it? Aren’t they expected to sometimes run at high rpm for extended periods?
And back when this was built they were still using generators so that was probably another reason to slow down the accessories.
Since cooling is usually not an issue in these cases, slowing the water pump down wasn’t likely to pose a big problem.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
High RPMs for extended times, 3000-4000 RPM is typical. The Y-block is stated in the owner's manual and engine sticker to prop for 4000 RPM max engine speed at full throttle. The small block is listed a bit higher, I think 4400 RPM. Think about your small block having the throttle pinned wide open for hours at a time turning 4000 RPM, that part throttle 3000 RPM highway cruise is no big deal.

I think the smaller pulley is to try and keep the raw water pump RPM down. The pump is located below the crankshaft (so it doesn't have to lift water) and a larger pulley to slow it down would make the pulley the lowest point on the engine. So both pulleys (crankshaft and waterpump) are abnormally small. Alternator does a great job of low RPM charging compared to what old generators could do.

As for the charging system, that is another oddity. This is a factory alternator. 1960 was the first year an alternator was standard equipment in a Plymouth Valiant, This is a 1963 boat motor. Early mustangs were still generators. The alternator from Ford was introduced in 65 or 66. The one on this boat engine is a mystery. The only markings are "Interceptor" which the name on the line of marine engines. Sort of reminds me of early Motorola alternators. Strange stuff like the charge wire is routed through the voltage regulator.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, some GM cars were generators until '63 and '64 if I remember. Did not know that the Valiant had an alternator (excuse me... it's an "AC generator") as far back as '60 though!

Paul

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was checking. Is it a Dearborn interceptor motor , they ran in front of Eaton drives at the time.
I saw the flat dist cap. Good info on these

Attachments

• 65EF1FAB-8515-43F0-83E1-B26957C069DE.jpeg
    65EF1FAB-8515-43F0-83E1-B26957C069DE.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is it, almost. I got the intake a few years back. Just picked up the engine (with the Eaton outdrive) recently. But that one has a 2-barrel intake on it. The valve cover really is almost the tallest point on the engine.