• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what size wheel spacer

74LIFE

Loc.
rolling prairie,ind
I bought the complete offroad 1 ton steering system i have 15" x 14" alcoa's with 3-3/4" backspacing. what size wheel spacer would keep rims from coming in contact with tre.

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I bought the complete offroad 1 ton steering system i have 15" x 14" alcoa's with 3-3/4" backspacing. what size wheel spacer would keep rims from coming in contact with tre.

Typically 3.5" is what you need to clear, but every wheel is a little different. That's some serious leverage with 14" wide wheels!

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
Crap. :(

Im going to be using 15" wheels with 4" of backspacing. Early Bronco drum brake knuckles with Chevy disc swap. I assume i cant run the GM TRE's flipped? Am i going to have to use heims instead?

Is it the drum EB knuckles that have the clearance issue or is it the disc EB/F150/ Big Bronco knuckles?

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
Crap. :(

Im going to be using 15" wheels with 4" of backspacing. Early Bronco drum brake knuckles with Chevy disc swap. I assume i cant run the GM TRE's flipped? Am i going to have to use heims instead?

Is it the drum EB knuckles that have the clearance issue or is it the disc EB/F150/ Big Bronco knuckles?

You may be able to slide by if you're running drum knuckles. those chevy's are huge and when you go TRO it's a tight fit

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
I just mounted one up and there is tons of room with the drum knuckles and 4" backspacing wheels. The TRE would have to be about 5" in diameter before it rubbed the wheel. There is a little over 1.5" between the top of the knuckle arm and the wheel lip.

Im guessing most of the clearance issues is with the disc brake knuckles.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA

The Eb drum knuckles are usually ok with 4" backspacing, you may need to watch the caliper to wheel clearance depending on the wheel design. I had a steel 15x 8 w/ 4" bs spare that won't fit over the front caliper after Chevy disc swap. The caliper mounting bracket/dust shield needed some slight clearancing to clear 15" x 10" Eagle 589 3.75" BS only on one side.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stack washers and keep doing a trial fit until they clear. Then measure the thickness of the stack of washers and order shims that thick.

Might want to keep some spare wheel bearings and ball joints handy with that much tire that far out from the axle.

OP
OP
74LIFE

74LIFE

Loc.
rolling prairie,ind
i do have aset of eb knuckles might give that a try,it'll be some trial and error.I did have some issue with the wheel weights being rub off, put some liqud in the tires, can't remember the nameof the stuff works pretty good but hey their 42s. thanks for the info.