• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What stupid questions do people ask about your Bronco?

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I hate fueling up the Bronco. People feel obligated to talk to me for some reason while pumping.

The top ones

Q. What kind of Jeep is that?
A. It was a prototype for the Mexican Army, its the only one in the world. Jay Lenno has been pestering me to buy it. He wants to park it next to his Dusenburg.

Q. What year is that? 64???
A. Yup its a 64...damn you are good!

Q. That thing looks like it will go anywhere, Do you take that off road?
A. No its too hard to clean the mud off the scratched hardware store semigloss paint.

Q. What engine is in there?
A. Depends on my mood whatever weird shit I can think up that second. I had some idiot believing that he could hear the turbo when I reved up the VTEC.

Q. Can I drive it?
A. Are you retarded?

not a question but more a idiotic statement "Man that thing is really nice" Ummm are you looking at the same truck I drove in with. What is nice about it exactly? The huge smear of bondo down the side? the flapping fenders? the giant holes in various places? The peeling semigloss paint? The rats nest of wires hanging down from the dash? IDIOTS!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
off the subject a little, a friend of mine and i built a boat car on a tercel chassis. people always asked us if it floated. we either said "like a brick" or "it depends on the henway".

sorry to change the subject, but that car was a lot of fun.

BTW, you covered all the stupid Q's i get, but i like the answer about the mexican army. ;D

i take my bronco to 2 or 3 car shows a week, i'm impressed on how many people get it right.

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
still building, but I get a lot of:
-Are you really building that by yourself? (usually while I am covered head to toe in grime)
-What size / kind of subs and amps are you gonna use (the thing doesn't run yet-it is a shell for cry'n out loud)
-are you really gonna drive it?

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Kinda off topic but I saw one in a parking lot once and started checking it out...and the owner came out and asked me "what the HECK* are you doing?" so I told him I was building a Bronco and was just checking his out. ANYWAYS he preceded to tell me he bought it from a shop that..

did a V8 swap cause "Broncos never came stock with a V8"
Boxed in the frame
Added disc brakes which were "never a stock feature"
Added power brakes and power steering once again "never a stock feature"

Anyways from what I could tell before this guy "set me straight" it was just a stock 76 or 77 that had been cleaned up...but nothing major done not enen a lift...just cut fender and flares all aorund and a soft top. And if this guy who flat out told me "I use this at my ranch as to not scratch up my hummer" paid for all these mods then I am lead to believe he got ripped off....

Anyways the most common question I get about my Bronco is
How much did you pay for it?
How much have you done to it?
and my favorite.... Is that house paint?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Most of the time the only question I hear is more of a comment: "I bet that thing can go anywhere?" I did get a different one that last time I was at the pump though. This guy looked at it a stated flatly: "Now that is one rude Bronco!" Ever since I put the Bronco Emblems back on I don't get too many people calling it a Jeep and there are still enough of them around here that I have never had anyone ask if it is one of the "New" Bronco's. I also get a lot of thumbs up's from people when I'm either driving it or towing it. The only one that ever annoyed me was the guy that asked why anyone would want to lift one up like that? I'm sure the comment was sarcastic due to the way he acted. Especially when I was done politely giving him a speach about clearance underneith. He seemed to be under the impression a car with stock tires would go over a 36" boulder better because the center of gravity is lower. It took me by surprise since no one had ever asked such a question (And no others have since). If I had it to do over again I would have asked him which car was his so I could park on top of it.

jeffjess72

Loc.
True Northern CA
Had a girl at the gas pump tell me "I'll give you a dollar for that truck." My wife popped her head out of the bronco and said " you know it's not a jeep right?" Dang crack heads.

popsbronco

Loc.
Edmonton Canada
I dont mind people asking the typical silly Bronco questions.
Its kind of funny!
I just tell them a bit about them.

Like mentioned before younger generation think its a land rover,some kind of heep or they really dont have a clue.

Most older guys and folk look at it "like cool i remember them"! Some guys i talk to get the year right on the money-the body that is.-- You see im a 74 on a 77 chasis

Im flattered that people take the time out to ask question???

Pop culture has made the early bronco an icon.

I like them caue my pop, when he was alive owned two a 1968 and an orange 1975 bronco. Lots of fond memories. ;D

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I don't really get many stupid questions but it seems as though every older person used to or knows someone who had one. I even have a neighbor whos had "five". He showed me pictures but his old bronco was a then new bronco 2. I have to be nice to the guy but he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

cakedude

Loc.
Friendswood/houston,
I've had mine in the garage on blocks for the last 2 months but the last time I drove it over to a buddys house it took me an hour and a half to get there and he is only 15 miles away. I pull in to a gas station a couple of blocks from my house to make sure I've got enough gas for the trip(gauge doesn't work, imagine that). Takes me 20 minites to pump a few gallons of gas and answer questions from curious onlookers. Get on the road and get the usual thumbs ups and honks and then a guy pulls around me in a Heep honking his horn a waving me over to the side of the road. I'm thinking damn did I forget to remove the gas nozzle before I pulled out of the gas station. Is something on fire? No just a guy driving a Heep and wanting a bronco. Hell, he even offered me $1000.00 more that I paid for it a month earlier. I love driving my EB. :cool:

1970WagonKY

Loc.
Winchester, KY
Q&A

Q: "Is that one of those old Bronco II's?"

A: "No....original....66-77.....", but now I am tired of stupid people and just say yeah whatever....If you don't know why should I bother

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
they are annoying.
i've had a former military person offer to buy it from me @ Waffle HOuse @ 4am after showing me his new corvette..... %)

my usual response '25K. ca$h. tomorrow'

needless to say i drove off with her still in my possession ;D

i try to be as nice as possible if the person at least has a clue. which are normally old owners or other classic iron enthusiasts (aka scout/fj/etc kinda guys)
if it's someone at a gas station just hollerin, i politely answer, quickly, and move on. %)

MI-Bronco

I agree with JaxLax - most annoying is "how much will you sell it for"?

I usually say - you can't afford it. Most seem to think I'll part with it for somethng else than the cost of a paint job.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
"nice Jeep"
"what year of jeep is that, I have never seen one like that"
Best one, I really love old Broncos, want to sell it??

IDIOTS!!!!!

MI-Bronco

I _do_ enjoy those that come up and say - wow!!! a Bronco, _____ used to have a Bronco and it was so cool, we ______ all the time.

Most everyone has someone they knew that owned one and all have great memories....

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Just remembered the 2 most common ones I get asked at the parts store..

Is it 2wd or 4wd?
-Depends on what the terrian calls for.

Is it the Fulls size kind?
-The only size they had back then.

kcmacg

Loc.
Lafayette, Louisiana
Yep i get all of them to the offers to buy, to the bad guesses on what it is, but the worst was a guy walks up and said...."Man 4wd's are cool, that is 4wd right?

it has 4.5" of lift, and 35" boggers..no its not 4wd these tires just have really good handling features.

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
jeffjess72 said:
Had a girl at the gas pump tell me "I'll give you a dollar for that truck." My wife popped her head out of the bronco and said " you know it's not a jeep right?" Dang crack heads.

That's one of the best stories I have heard. Kudos to your wife for the quick wit.

Willie

Loc.
Austin Texas
I'm gonna take a different perspective here; as the one who asks the questions. I have a 76 that I have been working on for over 3 years.
I know thats along time, but with a working wife and two kids, my Bronco comes in 4th place in the time dept. I've done the brakes, centech wire'n harness, total exhaust system, intake and carb, timing chain, harmonic balancer, water pump, fender flares, you get the idea. The only thing I've farmed out is my c4. The rest has been done in my garage. I know alittle about Bronco's, having my first one in 86. Anyway, whenever I see someone in their rig, I'll say something to them. Many a time I've started off by saying "Nice Bronco!" and get a look of "Oh great, another gumba". But once they see I've got some knowledge and own one, thats where the problem starts. There has been a few times when I was on a diaper run to the store 5 miles away and it takes an hour. My wife just looks at me and says,"See a Bronco in the parking lot?" Yep. When two or more Bronco guys or gals, get together, there aren't any "Yes" and "No" answers to question. They take time man....

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Willie said:
I'm gonna take a different perspective here; as the one who asks the questions. I have a 76 that I have been working on for over 3 years.
I know thats along time, but with a working wife and two kids, my Bronco comes in 4th place in the time dept. I've done the brakes, centech wire'n harness, total exhaust system, intake and carb, timing chain, harmonic balancer, water pump, fender flares, you get the idea. The only thing I've farmed out is my c4. The rest has been done in my garage. I know alittle about Bronco's, having my first one in 86. Anyway, whenever I see someone in their rig, I'll say something to them. Many a time I've started off by saying "Nice Bronco!" and get a look of "Oh great, another gumba". But once they see I've got some knowledge and own one, thats where the problem starts. There has been a few times when I was on a diaper run to the store 5 miles away and it takes an hour. My wife just looks at me and says,"See a Bronco in the parking lot?" Yep. When two or more Bronco guys or gals, get together, there aren't any "Yes" and "No" answers to question. They take time man....

that's the kinda thing i alluded too...but they need a clue. i've spent over an hour talking with a guy who had a stock FJ40. it's cool, cause we had slightly different perspectives. and it was fun to argue which one was better in stock form!!!

of course WE all know the answer %) ..................... ;D ;D ;D ;)